This healthy Pumpkin Mug Cake is the ultimate single-serving dessert for fall. Gluten free, minimal ingredients, and ready in just 5 minutes!
If you're unfamiliar with mug cakes, they're one of the simplest single-serving desserts.
The ingredients comes together in a single mug (or ramekin), and you pop it in the microwave for 1 to 2 minutes. That's it!
This pumpkin mug cake is bursting with fall flavor from pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice.
I love topping it with a dollop of Greek yogurt, vanilla ice-cream, or frosting. Or, you can drizzle on some heavy cream, half-and-half, or your favorite coffee creamer for extra decadence.
Ready in just 5 minutes and with minimal ingredients, this is a dessert you crave all season long.
How to Make a Pumpkin Mug Cake
The next time you are craving something sweet but don’t want to commit to an entire cake or pie, this perfectly portioned, easy cake in a mug will be waiting right here for you.
Break out a wide-rimmed mug or 6-ounce ramekin for the best results.
As written, this healthy pumpkin mug cake is gluten free, however it can also be made vegan. Read below for ingredients and suggested substitutions.
- Pumpkin Puree: Make sure you're using pure pumpkin puree, and not pumpkin pie filling, which has added sugar.
- Gluten Free Flour: Look for a gluten free 1:1 baking flour, such as this one by Bob's Red Mill. GF flours can vary in ingredients, so be sure to use one that includes xanthan gum, which helps provide elasticity. (If you're not making this recipe gluten free, you can just use regular all purpose flour.)
- Egg: Not only does the egg add protein, but it also acts as the binder for these oats. If making the recipe vegan, you can use a flax egg instead.
- Coconut Sugar: I prefer the subtle sweetness of coconut sugar, however brown sugar will also work.
- Pumpin Pie Spice: For warm notes of cinnamon, nutmeg, and all-spice.
- Baking Powder: Helps the cake rise!
- Milk: I suggest using a milk with a little fat in it, which helps with moisture. I use almond or whole milk.
- Chocolate Chips: I love using Lily's brand chocolate chips, which are lower in sugar. If making the mug cake dairy free, use Enjoy Life chocolate chips.
Step 1: Combine Wet Ingredients
Lightly grease a coffee mug or ramekin. Add pumpkin puree, egg, coconut sugar, milk and oil; whisk to combine.
Step 2: Add Dry Ingredients
Add flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, and a pinch of salt; mix well. Fold in chocolate chips, reserving a few to sprinkle overtop.
Step 3: Microwave Mug Cake
Microwave mug cake for 90 seconds. Don’t overcook or your mug cake will become chewy. You might need to play around with the time a bit, depending upon your microwave. Add topping of choice and dig in!
Mug Cake Toppings
While this healthy pumpkin mug cake is mighty enjoyable as is, here are a few topping suggestions:
- Ice cream or frozen yogurt: Top this cake with a scoop of vanilla ice cream (or your favorite flavor) for a classic combo.
- Greek yogurt: I suggest using full-fat vanilla Greek yogurt.
- Whipped Cream: Regular or dairy free whipped topping is light, yet decadent.
- Frosting: A smear of homemade or store-bought frosting adds undeniable yum factor.
- Milk: Drizzle on some heavy cream, half-and-half, or your favorite coffee creamer for extra moisture.
- To Store. Microwave mug cakes are meant to be enjoyed right away, so I suggest eating it while it's fresh!
- To Reheat. Mug cakes are prone to easily drying out, so I recommend embracing the easiness of this recipe and making a fresh one.
Recommended Tools to Make Mug Cake:
- 6-Ounce Ramekin: If you're not using a microwave-safe mug, one of these ramekins come in handy.
- Mini Whisks: these are perfect for mixing a small amount of ingredients in a confined space!
More Healthy Pumpkin Dessert Recipes:
Healthy Pumpkin Bars -- reader favorite!
If you try this healthy pumpkin mug cake, snap a pic and tag #dishingouthealth on Instagram so I can see your beautiful creations. Also, follow along on Facebook and Pinterest for the latest recipe updates! I also really appreciate readers taking the time to leave a rating and review!
Pumpkin Mug Cake
- Coffee mug or 6-oz. ramekin
- 3 Tbsp. pumpkin puree
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp. whole milk
- 2 Tbsp. coconut sugar
- 1 tsp. oil (I use melted coconut oil)
- ¼ cup gluten free 1-to-1 baking flour (or all-purpose flour)
- ¼ tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ tsp. baking powder
- 2 Tbsp. chocolate chips (plus more for sprinkling overtop, if desired)
- A scoop of cool whip, vanilla ice cream, or Greek yogurt, or a drizzle of heavy cream, half-and-half, or your favorite seasonal coffee creamer.
- Lightly grease a coffee mug or ramekin. Add pumpkin puree, egg, milk, coconut sugar, and oil; whisk to combine.
- Add flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, and a pinch of salt; mix well. Fold in chocolate chips. Sprinkle a few extra chocolate chips on top, if desired.
- Microwave mug cake for 90 seconds. Don’t overcook or your mug cake will become chewy. (You might need to play around with the time a bit, depending upon your microwave.) Add topping of choice and dig in!