Combine a slice of moist banana bread and funfetti cake and you have these Funfetti Banana Bread Bars. Gluten free, dairy free, and with no added oil, these healthy funfetti bars are the ultimate sweet treat.
f you also find immense excitement out of watching bananas sit on the countertop until their skin becomes freckled with brown spots, you're in good company.
As much as I love a good loaf of banana bread, I highly suggest switching it up and making a batch of bars.
Add sprinkles to the mix and you hit peak banana bread enjoyment.
If the photos are convincing enough, these banana bread bars are:
- SUPER moist thanks to the magic combo of mashed bananas, nut butter, and almond flour.
- Just sweet enough to satisfy a sweet tooth.
- Colorful and appealing to both kids and adults.
- Free of refined sugar, gluten, and dairy.
- Made in ONE bowl. Less dishes = less hassle.
Not to mention super convenient for weekday morning breakfasts or snacks -- just grab n' go!
How to Make Funfetti Banana Bread Bars
Much like my Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Bars, these can be enjoyed for breakfast, snacks, or dessert.
And because they're rich in heart-healthy fats, they'll keep you full longer than the averaged baked good.
- Bananas: The more freckled with brown spots, the better! Bananas are a fantastic source of potassium, fiber, and even vitamin C.
- Nut Butter: Cashew butter works best since it's the most mild in flavor. If you avoid nuts, however, you can also use sunflower seed butter.
- Egg: 2 eggs makes the bars desirably fluffy. *Note: I have not tried this recipe with flax eggs.
- Oat Flour: Made from 100% whole-grain oats, oat flour is a great gluten free alternative to all-purpose flour. You can either purchase it ground, or grind oats yourself in a food processor.
- Almond Flour: My go-to alternative flour for gluten free baking, almond flour makes these bars ultra moist. Plus, its chockfull of heart-healthy fats, fiber, and antioxidants.
- Maple Syrup: Offering rich, well-rounded sweetness, a touch of maple syrup is all you need. Alternatively, you can use honey.
- Vanilla + Almond Extract: This combination is KEY in achieving classic funfetti flavor.
- Sprinkles: Use any brand or variety you like! There's nothing like a healthy funfetti riff.
Step 1: Mash Banana
Preheat oven to 350ºF and line an 8x8 baking dish with parchment paper. Lightly coat with non-stick spray.
Place bananas in a large bowl and use a potato masher or fork to throughly mash.
Step 2: Combine Wet Ingredients
To the bowl with banana, add eggs, cashew butter, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Whisk well to combine.
Step 3: Add Dry Ingredients
Add oat flour, almond flour, baking soda, and salt; stir to combine. Fold in sprinkles.
Step 4: Bake Funfetti Banana Bread Bars
Transfer batter to prepared baking dish and scatter extra sprinkles overtop.
Bake for 30 to 34 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean. Slice into 12 bars and enjoy!
- Measure Your Banana - It’s important to have 1 cup of mashed ripe banana, which can amount to either 2 or 3 bananas, depending on size.
- Be sure to measure it with dry measuring cups before adding the remainder of the wet ingredients.
- Use Ripe but Not *TOO* Ripe Bananas - While lots of dark spots are desirable for banana bread recipes (put those natural sugars to work!), look out for strange odors or mold.
- If you see or smell anything suspicious, the bananas may not be safe to eat.
- If your bananas are teetering on the edge but you don’t have time to use them that day, peel, chop, and freeze them for later use.
- Reserve Sprinkles for the Topping - I like to mix most of the sprinkles in the batter, and reserve a few for the topping. Not only is it aesthetically pleasing, but it lets people know they're about to bite into something with sprinkles!
How to Serve, Store, and Freeze:
- To Serve: These funfetti banana bread bars are delicious when warmed up and spread with a little butter.
- To Store: Once the bars fully cool, store them in an airtight container lined with paper towels. They will keep at room temperature for up to 4 days.
- To Freeze: Freeze leftover bars in an airtight freezer-safe storage container for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight at room temperature before serving.
More Healthy Banana Bread Recipes to Try:
If you try these healthy funfetti bars, snap a pic and tag #dishingouthealth on Instagram so I can see your beautiful creations. Also, follow along on Facebook and Pinterest for the latest recipe updates!
Funfetti Banana Bread Bars
- Mixing bowls
- 8x8-inch baking pan
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana
- 2 large eggs
- ⅓ cup cashew butter
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. almond extract
- 1 cup almond flour
- ⅓ cup oat flour
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ cup sprinkles, plus more for topping
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and line an 8x8 baking dish with parchment paper. Lightly coat with non-stick spray.Place bananas in a large bowl and use a potato masher or fork to throughly mash until the bananas are pureed.
- To the bowl with banana, add eggs, cashew butter, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Whisk well to combineAdd almond flour, oat flour, baking soda, and salt; stir to combine. Fold in sprinkles.
- Transfer batter to prepared baking dish, smoothing the top with a spatula. Scatter extra sprinkles overtop, if desired.Bake for 30 to 34 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean. Let cool completely before slicing into 12 bars.
- Once the bars fully cool, store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.
- Freeze leftover bars in an airtight freezer-safe storage container for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight at room temperature before serving.