Brown butter pumpkin tahini bars are the simple, go-to dessert you need this fall: gluten-free, incredibly moist, decidedly decadent, and perfect for seasonal entertaining.
The Ultimate Pumpkin Tahini Bars:
I have known no greater love than these pumpkin tahini bars.
However, it didn't materialize overnight. This recipe took a half dozen attempts to perfect (read: 6 batches of pumpkin tahini bars over the course of 4 days), but I couldn't be more pleased with their outcome.
I may even go as far as to say they are my favorite baked recipe on the blog. I've fed them to my family, friends, their romantic interests, the FedEx man, and just wish I could feed them to each of you!One of the MVP ingredients here is tahini—a powerhouse seed butter with rich nuttiness and slightly bitter nuances. My go-to is Soom brand; it’s unctuous and smooth with no oil slick on top (perfect for whisking into batters). You can get 10% off your order by using the code ‘dishingouthealth’ at checkout!
Tahini is made from ground hulled sesame seeds, which are especially rich in cholesterol-lowering phytosterols. Its high dose of heart-healthy fats also makes it a great candidate for lending extra moisture to baked goods.
What is Brown Butter?
To further amplify the nutty depth of flavor, the next spotlight ingredient is BROWN BUTTER. If you're not familiar with browning butter, this simple heat hack caramelizes the milk solids for intensely fragrant flavor. The transformation of butter to brown butter also helps us scale back on the total amount of butter we use while still achieving its signature rich flavor profile.
The warm hints of cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves in the pumpkin pie spice enhance all the warm fall flavors here. And, if you're wondering, the pumpkin taste doesn't come through strong enough to knock you other the head, so even those pumpkin-averse can enjoy these. The recipe takes well to mix-ins, so stir in chopped walnuts, pecans, or chocolate chips to your heart’s desire. Just don’t skip the sea salt on top.
The simple, go-to dessert you absolutely NEED this fall.
Other Healthy Pumpkin Recipes:
Brown Butter Pumpkin Tahini Bars
- Cooking spray
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup tahini such as Soom
- ¼ cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 Tbsp. pumpkin pie spice
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. kosher salt plus extra flaky sea salt to sprinkle overtop, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper and coat with cooking spray.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium-low, swirling pan occasionally, until butter is foamy and starting to brown on the bottom, about 5 minutes. Scrape browned bits from bottom; remove from heat, and cool 10 minutes.
- Combine eggs, tahini, pumpkin puree, and coconut sugar in a large bowl; stir with a whisk. Gradually stream cooled brown butter into the bowl, stirring constantly with a whisk until combined.
- Combine almond flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, and salt in a separate bowl; stir with a whisk. Combine flour mixture with wet mixture; sir until combined.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking pan and bake at 350°F for 23 to 27 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean. If desired, sprinkle flaky sea salt overtop.
- Let cool 15 minutes in pan. Remove from pan and let cool completely before slicing into 16 squares.