Vegan Chickpea Gingerbread Buckeyes are the easy, healthy treat you need this holiday season. Rich in protein and fiber, and the blind taster would never guess they contain chickpeas!
Vegan Buckeyes Made with Chickpeas:
Let me start by asking, who doesn’t love a luscious little buckeye?! Or a crunchy, aromatic gingerbread cookie? (I wait all year to douse my life in gingerbread, which is my favorite seasonal flavor.) Those two desserts always seem to evoke the sweetest of holiday memories. These little treats, however, take those classic holiday flavors into epic new realms.
In fact, they may be the best way to spread holiday cheer this season. Both kids and adults will love them, and they’re a great way to sneak in extra fiber!I also want to hear from you guys! What are some of your favorite Christmas cookies to bake? Any family recipes that have become a holiday tradition?
Growing up, we weren’t huge into holiday baking, with the exception of almond snowballs. To this day, those seem to always make an appearance at holiday gatherings. You know, the ones you try to eat in one bite to avoid covering half your face with powdered sugar? Messy, but SO worth it.
How to Make Vegan Buckeyes:
Here’s the lowdown on these golden balls of bliss:
- Blend chickpeas, peanut butter, molasses (a must for anything-gingerbread), maple syrup, and spices until creamy.
- Next, roll the dough into bite-sized balls while trying to not inhale every last bit because it’s irresistibly delicious. Then, dip each ball halfway into melted chocolate.
- Lastly, transfer them to parchment paper and let them set until firm.
This process is SO easy and fun, and a great way to get kids involved. The most difficult part is not eating a massive amount of dough during the process.
And the best part is that you cannot taste the chickpeas ONE bit. Trust me. Not a single blind taste-tester would ever believe their lusciousness was attributed by beans.
They’re the perfect holiday dessert to bring to parties, cookie swaps, or office gatherings. Especially since they’re discretely healthy (shhh!). Plus, they can be made up to two days in advance if stored in an airtight container.Simple, easy, and brimming with all the holiday feels. I hope you jump on this buckeye bandwagon with me! If you make this recipe, be sure to tag #dishingouthealth so I can see your beautiful creations!
More Healthy Dessert Recipes to Try:
Chickpea Gingerbread Buckeyes
- 1 cup chickpeas drained and thoroughly rinsed
- 3/4 cup salted creamy peanut butter
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp molasses
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 cup Enjoy Life chocolate chips sub semi-sweet chocolate chips if not making vegan
- Turbinado sugar for garnish optional
- Place chickpeas in a food processor. Blend for 10-15 seconds, until finely ground. Add peanut butter, powdered sugar, molasses, cinnamon, ginger, and salt. Blend for about 1 minute, until ingredients form of a smooth ball of dough.
- Roll dough in 12-14 balls. Place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Place chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat in 20 second increments for about 60-80 seconds, until melted, stirring well.
- Dip buckeyes into chocolate and place back on parchment paper. Sprinkle Turbinado sugar overtop, if desired. Refrigerate for 10 minutes, or until chocolate hardens. Store refrigerated in an airtight container.