Buffalo Broccoli and Chickpea Pitas with Tahini Caesar Dressing take the beauty of a Buffalo wing experience and wrap it in a fully-loaded pita for a vegan-friendly, weeknight win.This is a joint venture between the tastiest bar food I know: buffalo-anything and Caesar salads. It’s got the the hearty, crave-worthy character you’d expect with such flavor profiles, yet is deceivingly healthy and 100% plant-based.
And did I mention totally weeknight-friendly? It’s on the table in less than 40 minutes, giving you plenty of time to wine down (because, Wednesday).Cauliflower has received a whole lotta love lately on the buffalo front, but its cruciferous cousin is ready for some time in the spotlight. Broccoli is a great source of fiber, vitamin C, and prebiotics (the components of nondigestible fibers found in many plant foods that fuel gut-healthy probiotics). Combined with protein-packed chickpeas, this plant-based pita is a nutritional powerhouse that checks every craving box with its creamy, spicy, and salty flavors.
Tahini gives the Caesar dressing its signature creaminess, plus some extra nutty appeal. My go-to tahini is Soom brand; it’s unctuous and supremely smooth with rich flavor and nuanced bitterness. If you’d like try out any Soom products, you can get 10% off your order by using the code ‘dishingouthealth’ at checkout!
In place of anchovies in the Caesar dressing, capers step in to provide the signature salty tang. It would be a good idea to go ahead and double the dressing and use leftovers to elevate all of your grain bowls and salads the rest of the week. As far as toppers, the crispness of romaine and bite of red onion liven up the saucy components of the pita, while avocado lends cooling creaminess. I also love a smattering of fresh cilantro for a refreshing, herbal boost.
If you give this a recipe a try, be sure to tag #dishingouthealth on Instagram so I can see your beautiful creations! Cheers, friends.
- 4 to 5 cups broccoli florets
- 1 (15-oz.) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained well*
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 3 Tbsp. buffalo sauce
- 3 Tbsp. tahini
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. finely chopped capers
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 4 naans or pitas, warmed
- Optional toppers: sliced red onion, avocado, finely chopped romaine lettuce, fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Spread broccoli florets and chickpeas on a large rimmed baking sheet. Toss with oil, and ½ tsp. each of the salt and black pepper. Bake for 22 to 25 minutes, tossing once halfway through. Toss with buffalo sauce.
- While broccoli and chickpeas roast, prepare dressing by combining tahini, lemon juice, garlic powder, capers, mustard, and remaining ½ tsp. salt and black pepper in a bowl. Gradually whisk in 2 to 3 Tbsp. water to achieve desired consistency.
- To prepare pitas, spread ~1 Tbsp. tahini Caesar dressing evenly on all 4 naans or pitas. Top evenly with buffalo broccoli and chickpeas. Add additional toppings of choice. Drizzle remaining tahini Caesar dressing overtop.