Creamy chocolate protein oats topped with caramelized banana, strawberries, yogurt, crushed nuts, shredded coconut and a hot dark chocolate drizzle. These overnight oats have all the components of a decadent banana split, yet are high in protein, rich in fiber and contain no added sugar.
I don't even know how I can convey my love for these little jars of childhood memories and adult dreams. Is it dessert or is it breakfast? If I find myself asking that question, it typically means I'm in for a treat. The oats are delicious and satisfying enough to eat alone, but now that i've eaten them with these glorious toppings, I might even go as far as to say I'd prefer this
dessert breakfast over my beloved brioche French toast. Or a donut. That's HUGE, guys. And I'd be eating about a fraction of the fat and sugar so it's safe to say we are WINNING here, folks.
Let me also add that one serving contains almost 9 grams of fiber and 17 grams of protein! They are also naturally vegan, gluten-free and 100% kid-friendly.
I’ve always enjoyed the concept of having a nutritious breakfast right there in the fridge first thing in the morning, the moment you wake up. One that isn’t a granola bar or a banana or a container of yogurt. I can get down with all of those things for snacks, but breakfast sets the tone for your whole day which means it should be something that excites you. Something that can peel you out of bed and send you prancing into the kitchen wide-eyed and bushy-tailed.
Tell me i'm not the only one that literally prances into the kitchen when a meal awaits me.
If you've never been a breakfast person (gasp), that means these oats are even more for you. There's a high likelihood they will convert you to being a breakfast lover like the rest of us. You may even start requesting breakfast for dinner which is honestly one of the best things in the world.
All the good feels. Breakfast for life.
But let's reveal the layers of this banana split piece by piece...
"Ice-cream": cold, creamy overnight protein oats made with Sunwarrior chocolate protein powder, rich vanilla extract, vanilla almond milk, coconut yogurt and chia seeds.
"Whipped Cream": coconut yogurt, which you could substitute for vanilla Greek yogurt if not making vegan.
Toppings: caramelized banana (not totally necessary to caramelize but trust me, SO worth it!), crushed nuts (walnuts, pecans or whatever you like), sliced strawberries, coconut flakes, and a "hot fudge" drizzle (dark chocolate melted in coconut oil).Practically what all breakfasts should taste like forever.
This post was sponsored by Sunwarrior protein. Thank you for supporting the brands that support Dishing Out Health!
Banana Split Overnight Protein Oats
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- ½ extra ripe banana mashed
- 1 ⅓ cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 scoop 21 gm Sunwarrior Chocolate Classic Protein
- 2 tablespoon coconut yogurt - sub for vanilla Greek yogurt if not making vegan
- 2 teaspoon chia seeds
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract optional
- ½ teaspoon stevia
- **Toppings optional:
- Remaining half of banana sliced into thick pieces + 1 teaspoon coconut oil, pinch of sea salt for caramelizing
- ¼ cup sliced strawberries
- 1 tablespoon coconut flakes
- 1 tablespoon crushed nuts walnuts, pecans, etc
- 1 tablespoon dark chocolate chips use Enjoy Life if making vegan + ¼-1/2 teaspoon coconut oil
- Pour almond milk, protein powder and vanilla extract in a shaker cup or a jar with a lid. Shake to thoroughly mix.
- In a medium-sized bowl or a large jar with a lid, combine oats, mashed banana, yogurt, chia seeds and stevia, stir to combine. Pour in milk/protein mixture and mix everything to thoroughly combine. Cover and place in the refrigerator overnight, or for at least 5-6 hours.
- The next morning, remove oats from the refrigerator and begin preparing toppings, if desired.
- For caramelized banana, heat 1 teaspoon of coconut oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add banana slices and pinch of sea salt. Saute for ~2-3 mins per side, or until the flesh appears caramelized. Place on top of oats.
- For chocolate drizzle, combine dark chocolate chips and coconut oil in a small, microwave-safe bowl. Nook for ~20 seconds, stir, and nook again for 10-15 seconds, or until chocolate has melted.
- Once all desired toppings are on oats, use a small spoon to drizzle dark chocolate on top. Serve!