A true goes-with-everything Avocado Sauce recipe that's ready in just 5 minutes. Delicious on tacos, burrito bowls, quesadillas, burgers, and more!Read more
Why You'll Love this Avocado Sauce
- Quick and Easy. Add the ingredients to a blender or food processor, give it a whirl, and voila! Only a few minutes of prep time that's totally worth dirtying a kitchen appliance.
- Versatile. Just like all of my Healthy Sauces, you can use it as a dressing, dip, or spread. See all of my favorite uses below.
- Super Flavorful. The combination of tangy sour cream (or Greek yogurt) with herbs, lemon, and garlic creates a lick-the-spoon sauce.
- Healthy. Packed with heart-healthy fats and fiber, plus a slew of good-for-you vitamins and minerals.
I tested many variations of this avocado sauce, and I am confident you will LOVE the finished result.
I love that it manages to be both rich and creamy, yet light and refreshing.
In fact, I highly endorse double-batching it and using it throughout the week to instantly elevate weekday meals.
This avocado sauce recipe is super versatile, and many of the ingredients can be swapped for what you have on hand.
- Avocado: You need ½ of a large avocado, which should be soft to the touch. A ripe avocado ensures a creamier sauce.
- Sour Cream: I love the richness and tang of sour cream here, however plain full-fat Greek yogurt also works great!
- Herbs: After testing this recipe with both parsley and cilantro, I was more keen on the parsley version. However, if you're using this sauce on tacos, you can certainly use cilantro.
- Olive Oil: Using a good quality extra-virgin olive oil will infuse the sauce with bright, grassy flavor notes.
- Garlic Powder: After testing the recipe with both fresh garlic and garlic granules, I prefer the flavor of the latter. Using fresh is perfectly fine, however the garlic flavor will become sharper as it sits.
- Lemon Juice: For brightness and acidity.
- Kosher Salt: If you're using table salt, you’ll need to use a little bit less because the crystals are smaller. Start with ¼ teaspoon and add more to taste.
For a full list of ingredients and quantities, see the recipe card below.
- Use Cilantro. If you're using the sauce on any kind of taco or burrito bowl (such as my Vegan Chipotle Bowls), use cilantro instead of parsley.
- Add Lime. In place of the lemon juice, add 2 tablespoon of fresh lime juice.
- Make Spicy. Add half of a fresh jalapeño for a dose of heat.
- Make Vegan. Swap the sour cream/yogurt for your favorite coconut-based yogurt (just make sure it's unsweetened).
How to Make Avocado Sauce
Step 1: Add all ingredients to a blender. Start blending at a low speed and gradually work up to a higher speed, adding 2 Tablespoons of water to help lubricate the blade, until creamy.
Step 2: Transfer sauce to a bowl and enjoy!
The options are truly endless, however these are my favorite foods to enjoy avocado sauce:
- Tacos. Spoon it over any veggie, meat or fish taco. I especially love it with Black Bean Tacos, BBQ Cauliflower Tacos, and these Vegan Chorizo Tacos.
- Burrito Bowls. Add a scoop to a homemade burrito bowl in place of guacamole. It's especially tasty with these Sweet Potato Burrito Bowls.
- Burgers. In place of store-bought condiments, spread the sauce on a meat or meatless burger, such as these Black Bean Burgers.
- Roasted Veggies. Especially roasted cauliflower and sweet potatoes.
- Quesadillas. Chicken, steak, or my favorite Veggie Quesadillas.
Guacamole has a standard lineup of ingredients (avocado, cilantro, lime, and salt), while avocado sauces may include different herbs and add-ins.
As long as the sauce is properly stored, it should not brown. This is due to the fresh lemon juice, which also helps keep the flavor sharp.
Refrigerate avocado sauce in an airtight container or jar for up to 1 week.
More Healthy Sauce Recipes to Try:
If you give this avocado sauce recipe a try, snap a pic and tag #dishingouthealth so I can see your beautiful creations. I also really appreciate readers taking the time to leave a rating and review! Lastly, follow along on Facebook and Pinterest for the latest recipe updates
- Small Blender or Food Processor
- 1 small (or ½ large) ripe avocado
- ½ cup fresh parsley or cilantro*
- ⅓ cup sour cream (or plain full-fat Greek yogurt)
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp. garlic powder (or 1 small fresh garlic clove)
- ½ tsp. sea salt (or ¼ tsp. table salt)
- ¼ tsp. cracked black pepper
- Combine avocado, parsley, sour cream (or yogurt), olive oil, lemon juice, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper in a small blender or food processor. Add 2 Tablespoons of water and blend until the sauce is mostly smooth with green specks. Stop to scrape down the sides as needed.Taste and adjust seasonings as needed, and transfer sauce to a bowl. Enjoy on tacos, quesadillas, burrito bowls, burgers, or with roasted veggies.