Slow Cooker Golden Lentil Soup is a low-fuss meal perfect for healthy weeknight dinners or make-ahead lunches. This hearty soup is full of anti-inflammatory spices, fiber, and protein to keep you full and nourished. Instant Pot instructions also included.
Why You'll Love this Slow Cooker Lentil Soup:
You know that feeling when it's time to break out your thick winter sweaters? (The ones that have been hiding in the depths of your closet or in a container under the bed.) You drape your body in your favorite fleece, give yourself a bear hug, and relish in the comfort of your seasonal heirloom?
Good, because that's the feeling you'll get by eating a bowl of this rich, wildly flavorful soup.
Health Benefits of Slow Cooker Lentil Soup:
This recipe is packed with nutrient-dense ingredients like kale, carrots, turmeric, and lentils. Lentils, in their tiny legume-glory, are actually nutrition powerhouses with the perfect mix of protein and fiber. They are are excellent contenders for plant-based soups and stews because they help keep you full longer. Plus, they are incredibly inexpensive (I buy them in the bulk-bin section of Whole Foods or Sprouts) and can keep for awhile in the pantry.
This recipe calls for red lentils, which are de-husked and split before packaging, helping them cook super fast. You may wonder why a slow cooker recipe calls for quick-cook lentils? The key here, however, is to embrace their mushy destiny and let them break down just enough to form a thick, creamy base.A wealth of aromatics and dried spices create a super fragrant broth. Tomato paste amps up the umami and coconut milk contributes to the soup's luxurious texture. I love to top it with a tangle of herbs and dollop of yogurt, but feel free to use garnishes of your choice. A side of naan is also a good idea, too.
This recipe can easily be doubled and frozen to enjoy for future meals. Its simplicity and cozy essence will make it an instant favorite, especially on chilly, wintry days.
If you give this recipe a try, be sure to tag #dishingouthealth so I can see your beautiful creations!
Other Slow Cooker Soup Recipes to Try:
Slow Cooker Golden Lentil Soup (Vegan)
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 2 large carrots sliced thin
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 ½ cups dried red lentils
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. freshly grated ginger sub ground ginger
- 1 small bunch lacinato kale stemmed and roughly chopped
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- SLOW COOKER: Place first twelve ingredients (through ginger) in a 5- to 6-quart electric slow cooker coated with cooking spray. Stir well to combine. Cover and cook on LOW 6 hours, until lentils soften. Turn off heat, and stir in kale, coconut milk, and lime juice. Cover and let stand 15 minutes. Spoon into bowls and garnish with fresh cilantro.
- INSTANT POT: Set Instant Pot to SAUTE. Allow pot to heat for 3 minutes. Add 2 Tbsp. olive oil, along with onions, carrot, garlic, tomato paste, turmeric, cumin, and ginger. Cook, stirring often, until softened, 5 minutes. Stir in salt, pepper, lentils, broth, and water. Cover and fasten lid. Lock and seal steam valve. Set to HIGH pressure for 5 minutes. When cooking ends, carefully release pressure by turning Pressure Release to VENT. Stir in kale, coconut milk, and lime juice; let stand 2 to 3 minutes. Spoon into bowls and garnish with cilantro.