A hearty bowl of sweet potato black bean chili makes for the ultimate winter comfort dish. With the perfect balance of sweetness and spice, this slow cooker recipe will make its way into your winter staples with just one bite.
Here we are again. It’s Sunday night and the weekend totally slipped through my fingers. What did you guys do?! What did you EAT? Any awesome new restaurants you ventured into? Tell me everything!
This chili was definitely one of my weekend highlights. Because of course my weekend highlights involve my tastebuds..
Making chili is just like making homemade tomato sauce. In order to really intensify the flavor, it’s best just to let it sit and do its thing for most of the day. That’s why I prefer making chili in the slow cooker. A BIG ol’ slow cooker for mass consumption. After letting those delicious flavors marry for 6+ hours, get your bib and your game-face on, friends, because it is GO TIME.
My personal favs are plain Greek yogurt (I opt for the 2% fat for ultra thick creaminess), Gruyere or sharp cheddar cheese, parsley, chives and tortilla chips (blue corn, please). A good cheddar biscuit or piece of corn bread on the side doesn’t hurt either.
While on the subject of toppings, don’t you guys just love how customizable chili is?? I mean, i’ll be darned if I make the exact same chili recipe twice. So much room for possibilities! I used lean ground beef but you could use ground turkey, bison, pulled pork or even short ribs. UGH, short ribs are BAE. If you make that happen, please invite me (and my dog) over. We’ll bring the drool.
This is just the epitome of winter for me. Right here. It’s so comforting and it’s so EASY to make. How many of you go nutso over slow cooker recipes during the week? They are life savors for me. Not only do they make your life so much easier, but they basically give you the warmest welcome as soon as you walk in the door. The aromas just wrap you up into a big bear hug. Is this getting weird?
This recipe is also incredibly nutritious. It’s loaded with fiber, antioxidants and protein. In fact, one serving provides almost half of your recommended daily fiber intake. Whattt?!
And trust me, I can think of much less delicious ways to reach that daily quota.
It’s kid-friendly, gluten-free, super filling and oh-so comforting. Make a huge batch and pack it up for lunches or freeze leftovers for later use. As long as it gets made, your week will be off to an epic start.
Cheers, my friends!
Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili
- 1 lb 94% lean ground beef - sub for ground turkey or chicken
- 2 medium-sized sweet potatoes skin removed and chopped into small cubes (~3 cups)
- 1/2 sweet onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/2 poblano pepper finely chopped (optional)
- 2 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes I used no added salt
- 1 15 oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup reduced sodium chicken or beef broth
- 1 tbsp + 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and poblano pepper. Saute until onions are translucent, ~5 minutes, adding garlic during the final minute. Add beef and cook until browned (~5-6 minutes), using a spatula to break into small pieces. Mix in seasonings.
- Pour beef/onion mixture into slow cooker and add in remaining ingredients. Cook on low heat for 6 hours (or 4 hours on high).
- Spoon into bowls, add toppings of choice and serve!