Everyone seems to have a favorite way of making mashed potatoes. Or their special “twist” they add to give them a personal flare. Being Italian, it only makes sense for my personal touch to include sweet, creamy Mascarpone cheese. Not only is it delicious, but it’s a great substitute for butter for only half the calories. I don’t know about you, but this girl would chose cheese over butter anyyyy day.
Let’s also talk about the other key player in this recipe: roasted garlic. TWO WHOLE BEAUTIFUL BULBS of roasted garlic. If roasted garlic has not yet made its way into your life, your time is now, my friends.
Roasting garlic to sweet, caramelized perfection gives it a deep, rich flavor while also making it much less pungent. I can’t describe how aromatic and delicious it is, but I will say it’s a necessity in my kitchen. I’ll also say it is the perfect match for both potatoes and mascarpone cheese. Though I may be a little biased at this point.. 😉
So while we’re on the topic, if anyone would like to share their Thanksgiving menu in the comments, I’d be thrilled to see it. I honestly love hearing what everyone is making because not only does it make me hungry and even more excited for the holiday, but it gives me fun ideas for future recipes.
I have to say Christmas and Thanksgiving are a close tie for my favorite holidays, and you know Thanksgiving is only in there because of the food. It just tastes like home, childhood, nostalgia and warm fuzzy feelings. All doused in gravy.
I don’t host a full Thanksgiving yet, but when the day comes that I do, I’ll be that freak up at 3AM fitting a fat turkey in the oven and getting started on appetizers. A foodie’s dream.
You deserve these bowls of pillowy creamy goodness. I honestly just want to curl up in a huge boat of these mashed potatoes and take a nap. I can bet they would beat my tempurpedic pillow in terms of comfort. And they definitely beat all other mashed potato recipes i’ve made in terms of taste!
I feel like these mashed potatoes satisfy both of the Thanksgiving desires for something traditional and nostalgic, as well as something new and exciting. Case in point – please whip some mascarpone cheese and roasted garlic into your potatoes ASAP.
Roasted Garlic Mascarpone Mashed Potatoes
- 4 lbs red potatoes
- 2 whole bulbs of garlic
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup Mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 3 tbsp chives finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Peel most of the paper off garlic. Trim the top off the heads of garlic and drizzle the exposed surface with 1-2 tsp of olive oil. Wrap the garlic in aluminum foil and roast for 55 minutes. Once cooled, squeeze the garlic cloves out of bulbs and discard shells.
- In the meantime, put potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook until potatoes are tender, ~20-25 minutes. Drain water.
- Using a potato masher or electric beater, begin blending potatoes. Add garlic, cheese, milk, salt and pepper and continue blending until smooth and creamy. Stir in chives, reserving some for topping. Serve!