Roasted carrot and white bean salad tossed in apricot-harissa sauce with shallots and pistachios. A colorful and lightly spiced vegan side, this is perfect for make-ahead lunches or dinner parties.This is one of those salads I could eat on repeat all on its own or alongside just about any protein: grilled salmon, seared strips of tofu, shrimp skewers, you name it.
Carrots are jam-packed with eye-healthy beta-carotene and pack a decent punch of fiber. Paired with white beans, this dish is an excellent way to reach your daily fiber quota.
The carrots are cooked just long enough to retain a little texture but beautifully caramelize. Using multicolored carrots makes for elegant presentation, but feel free to all orange, or whatever you already have on hand. The sauce is super-simple and great on anything from roasted vegetables to grilled fish or meat. Brands of harissa can vary widely in heat levels, so start with 1 Tbsp. and give it a taste. A hint of apricot preserves enhance the sweetness of the carrots without rendering them cloying.
The little sprinkle of pistachios delivers a much-needed crunch factor, but free to use sunflower seeds, pine nuts, or cashews instead.A vibrant vegetable medley that is equal parts easy, flavorful, and nutritious.
- 1 lb. multicolored carrots, cut into ½-inch coins, leafy carrot tops torn and reserved
- 2 shallots, quartered
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- ¾ tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. harissa paste or sauce
- 1 Tbsp. apricot preserves
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. finely minced garlic
- 1 (15-oz.) can unsalted white beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 Tbsp. roughly chopped pistachios
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Toss carrots and shallots in 1 Tbsp. of the oil, ½ tsp. of the salt, and black pepper. Bake for 30 minutes, tossing once halfway through.
- Prepare sauce by combing remaining 2 Tbsp. oil with harissa, apricot preserves, lemon juice, garlic, and remaining ¼ tsp. salt. Stir well.
- Toss carrots with white beans and reserved leafy carrot tops (if desired); arrange on a plate, platter, or bowl. Drizzle with apricot-harissa sauce. Scatter pistachios overtop. Serve at room temperature or chilled.