Roasted carrot and white bean salad tossed in apricot-harissa sauce with shallots and pistachios. A colorful and lightly spiced vegan side, this is perfect for make-ahead lunches or dinner parties.This is one of those salads I could eat on repeat all on its own or alongside just about any protein: grilled salmon, seared strips of tofu, shrimp skewers, you name it.
Carrots are jam-packed with eye-healthy beta-carotene and pack a decent punch of fiber. Paired with white beans, this dish is an excellent way to reach your daily fiber quota.
The carrots are cooked just long enough to retain a little texture but beautifully caramelize. Using multicolored carrots makes for elegant presentation, but feel free to all orange, or whatever you already have on hand. The sauce is super-simple and great on anything from roasted vegetables to grilled fish or meat. Brands of harissa can vary widely in heat levels, so start with 1 Tbsp. and give it a taste. A hint of apricot preserves enhance the sweetness of the carrots without rendering them cloying.
The little sprinkle of pistachios delivers a much-needed crunch factor, but free to use sunflower seeds, pine nuts, or cashews instead.A vibrant vegetable medley that is equal parts easy, flavorful, and nutritious.
Roasted Carrot and White Bean Salad with Apricot-Harissa
- 1 lb. multicolored carrots cut into 1/2-inch coins, leafy carrot tops torn and reserved
- 2 shallots quartered
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil divided
- 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. harissa paste or sauce
- 1 Tbsp. apricot preserves
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. finely minced garlic
- 1 15-oz. can unsalted white beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 Tbsp. roughly chopped pistachios
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Toss carrots and shallots in 1 Tbsp. of the oil, 1/2 tsp. of the salt, and black pepper. Bake for 30 minutes, tossing once halfway through.
- Prepare sauce by combing remaining 2 Tbsp. oil with harissa, apricot preserves, lemon juice, garlic, and remaining 1/4 tsp. salt. Stir well.
- Toss carrots with white beans and reserved leafy carrot tops (if desired); arrange on a plate, platter, or bowl. Drizzle with apricot-harissa sauce. Scatter pistachios overtop. Serve at room temperature or chilled.