Harissa-Honey Roasted Carrots with Pomegranate and Parsley are a restaurant-worthy side dish. With minimal ingredients and bold flavors, these rainbow carrots pair well with any protein or entree.
Roasted carrots are always a favorite veggie side dish.
Whether you serve them over tahini sauce or top them with a toasty nut-and-seed garnish, they are equal parts delicious and versatile.
These harissa-honey roasted carrots pair perfectly with just about any protein–chicken, steak, salmon, or tofu.
And while this recipe is simple enough for weeknight cooking, it’s impressive enough for holiday dinners or date nights.
These rainbow carrots are also vegan, gluten free, and nut free, making them well-suited for those with allergies. Basically, what’s NOT to love about this show-stopping side dish.
How to Make Harissa-Honey Roasted Carrots
Roasting carrots heightens their sweet flavor, browns and crisps the exteriors, and cooks interiors to tender perfection.
Pro tip: Look for carrots that are similar in size to ensure they all cook at the same rate.
And to encourage caramelization, make sure each carrot makes direct contact with the baking sheet—this also allows room for heat to circulate.
- Carrots: You need 1 lb. of carrots, which can be all orange or rainbow carrots. Just look for some that are similar in size so they roast evenly.
- Harissa: Harissa is a North African spice paste that looks like a mix between tomato paste and tomato sauce. It has a slightly smoky spiciness with bright acidity and earthy undertones, and is a great shortcut ingredient to achieving big flavor.
- Honey: A little sweetness helps balance the spice of harissa. Alternatively, you can use maple syrup.
- Cumin: For earthy undertones.
- Pomegranate: Jewel-like pomegranate arils act as a final garnish for texture and a seasonal touch. They also packa powerful punch of heart-healthy polyphenols.
- Parsley: Chopped parsley has a citrus-y brightness that helps give the roasted carrots a fresh lift.
- Lemon: A squeeze of fresh lemon adds bright top notes to the sauce. Alternatively, you can use fresh lime juice.
Step 1: Prepare Glaze
Preheat oven to 425ºF.
In a small bowl, combine olive oil, harissa, honey, cumin, and ½ tsp. salt; mix well.
Step 2: Roast Carrots
Arrange carrots on a large rimmed baking sheet. Spoon glaze overtop and roll carrots to coat all sides. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, shaking the pan once halfway through, until tender.
Step 3: Assemble
Transfer carrots to a serving platter and squeeze the juice of 1 lemon overtop. Garnish with pomegranate arils and fresh parsley.
These rainbowcarrots are a standout side dish. You can pair them with just about any entree or protein. Here are a few suggestions to get you started:
- Shrimp: Try my Crispy Shrimp Cakes or Shrimp in Turmeric-Lime Sauce.
- Tofu: The flavors of this Balsamic Tofu will complement the carrots beautifully.
- Fish: Either salmon or a hearty white fish will work best. Try my Curried Maple-Mustard Salmon, or this Pan-Seared White Fish with Harissa-Fennel and Capers.
- Meatloaf: Either these Vegetarian BBQ Meatloaf Minis or my famous Best Ever Vegan Meatloaf.
Do You Peel Carrots Before Roasting:
For the best flavor and texture, it’s best to peel carrots before roasting. The skins on unpeeled carrots often become wrinkled, tough, and gritty after roasting. They can also make the carrots taste more bitter.
For easy, more efficient peeling, use a Y-shaped vegetable peeler.
This recipe actually works with many other vegetables. If you’re looking to switch it up from carrots, you can also use:
- Peeled + cubed sweet potato, butternut squash, or fresh pumpkin
- Celery Root
More Roasted Carrot Recipes to Try:
Harissa-Roasted Carrots with Tahini Sauce
Coriander Roasted Carrots with Parsley and Pistachios
Balsamic Roasted Carrots with Artichoke Gremolata
If you try these Harissa-Honey Roasted Carrots, snap a pic and tag #dishingouthealth so I can see your beautiful creations. I also really appreciate readers taking the time to leave a rating and review! Lastly, follow along on Facebook and Pinterest for the latest recipe updates!
Harissa-Honey Roasted Carrots with Pomegranate
- Large rimmed baking sheet
- Mixing bowls
- 1 to 1.25 lbs. long, thin baby carrots, peeled and stems trimmed (or regular size carrots cut into long batons)
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. mild harissa (such as Mina brand)
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 to 3 Tbsp. pomegranate arils
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.In a small bowl, combine olive oil, harissa, honey, cumin, and ½ tsp. salt; mix well.Arrange carrots on a large rimmed baking sheet. Spoon glaze overtop and roll carrots to coat all sides. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, shaking the pan once halfway through, until tender.
- Transfer carrots to a serving platter and squeeze lemon juice overtop. Garnish with pomegranate arils and fresh parsley.
One of my favorites and a staple. I swear I make a big batch of this every other week and feel like I could eat the entire tray.