We are in full swing of eggplant season and I’ve been seeing the most gorgeous varieties at the farmers’ market lately. The graffiti eggplant, in particular, caught my eye this past weekend and I couldn’t pass it up.
Graffiti eggplant is similar to Italian eggplant in size and shape, with a velvety flesh, pretty lavender color and white mottled skin. It’s perfect for grilling, roasting or pureeing for dips or Baba ghanoush.
Or, of course, for my favorite use of eggplant – eggplant parmesan!
I also recently got my hands on a bottle of Bell Plantation’s Roasted Peanut Oil. This unfiltered extra virgin oil is a fantastic addition to recipes. Using this oil to sauté vegetables or chicken gives the food a rich roasted peanut flavor that is far superior to that of olive or coconut oil, in my opinion. I’ve also been loving it in salad dressings as well as sauces for Thai-inspired dishes. So many possibilities!
The roasted peanut flavor of the oil is the perfect compliment to the full-bodied spice of Harissa, the rich aromatic garlic and creamy Tahini paste. This sauce would be delicious on top of pork, chicken or any other grilled vegetables.
For a simple side-dish with loads of flavor, give this recipe a go!
Grilled Eggplant with Harissa Tahini Sauce
Serves roughly 3, depending on size of eggplant
- 1 large eggplant (1.5-2 lbs), sliced into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 2 tbsp. Tahini
- 1 tbsp Roasted Peanut Oil
- 1/2 tsp Harissa
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- Cooking spray for grill, grill-pan or skillet
- Optional toppings: feta cheese and fresh basil
- Heat grill-pan or skillet over medium heat and coat liberally with cooking spray or oil of choice. Add slices of eggplant. Grill for ~3-4 minutes per side, until softened.
- In a small bowl, add sauce ingredients: Tahini, peanut oil, Harissa, garlic and salt. Using a wire whisk, mix until well-combined.
- Arrange eggplant on a plate. Drizzle with dressing. Top with feta and basil. Serve!
Nutrition Facts per Serving (1/3rd of recipe not including optional toppings)
Calories: 120; Total Fat: 7.5 gm; Saturated Fat: 3 gm; Cholesterol: 0 mg; Sodium: 123 mg; Carbohydrates: 13 gm; Fiber: 6 gm; Sugar: 6.5 gm; Protein: 2.5 gm