Best EVER flourless brownies with cocoa-date frosting are made with wholesome, heart-healthy ingredients and no refined sugar or grains. These virtuously decadent treats are rich, fudge-y, and sure to become a staple in your dessert arsenal. Friends. I can hardly contain my excitement over sharing this recipe with you today. I’ve been trying to create an epic flourless brownie recipe for a few weeks and now, 7 batches and one of the world’s worst sugar hangovers later, I finally nailed it!
They’re the perfect mix of cake-y and fudge-y and absolutely melt in your mouth the moment you sink your teeth into them.One of the secret ingredients to these brownies’ success is almond butter. The extra heart-healthy fat helps keep them super moist and rich, while completely eliminating the need for oil or butter.
Another star ingredient is coffee, which, depending on the bean, lends a deep chocolatey flavor. You can’t taste the actual coffee in the brownie, but you will notice an additional layer of depth. I tried these brownies with multiple sweeteners: honey, maple syrup, a mix of granulated sugar and liquid sweetener, but coconut sugar won out across the board. Coconut sugar has a natural malty, almost-caramelized element to it (similar to brown sugar) which compliments the cocoa and coffee beautifully. And even though coconut sugar is still an added sugar, it does have a lower glycemic index than most other added sweeteners.
Ok, so we’ve talked about the evolution of the brownie in achieving it’s heavenly texture and flavor, but I’d be remiss to not also spotlight the FROSTING.I cannot take credit for this concept because I’ve seen it a few times floating around the interwebs, but whoever did initially think of it is an absolute genius.
It’s a simple blend of Medjool dates, cocoa powder, coconut oil, and water. That’s it! It creates a thick, ganache-like frosting that drapes over the brownies like a dream. I can honestly say I prefer a frosting like this (one that’s not cloyingly sweet and doesn’t give me the sensation of an instant cavity) over the traditional sugar-and-butter-based recipes. These brownies are easy to make, kid-friendly (they will NEVER know they’re a healthier dessert), and the perfect treat to satisfy your sweet tooth and provide a moment of sheer bliss in your day.
Now go forth and live your best brownie life.
Best Ever Flourless Brownies with Cocoa-Date Frosting
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup unsalted almond butter
- 1/4 cup unsweetened nut or soy milk
- 2 Tbsp. brewed and chilled coffee
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt if you're using salted almond butter, reduce to 1/4 tsp.
- **Cocoa-date frosting**
- 8 pitted Medjool dates soaked in warm water for 30 minutes
- 1 Tbsp. melted coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup warm water
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper and lightly coat with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs and sugar until combined. Whisk in almond butter, milk, and coffee until smooth. Add cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt; stir to combine. Pour into prepared baking pan. Bake at 350°F for 24 to 26 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean. Let brownies cool completely before removing from pan.
- Place dates, coconut oil, cocoa powder, and 1 Tbsp. of the water in a miniature food processor/chopper or blender. Pulse until smooth, adding the additional water in 1 Tbsp. increments until desired consistency is reached. Spread frosting over brownies. Slice into 16 squares.