30 minute Vietnamese shrimp and rice noodle bowls are a better-than-takeout main perfectly suited for busy weeknights. The addictive mix of spicy, sweet, and salty flavors come to life in these low-maintenance noodle bowls. In fact, they may be the best reason I can think of to take a stroll down your supermarket’s international aisle.
I love Vietnamese-style cooking for many reasons, but mostly the way that each dish unites colors, textures, and flavors to engage and excite the senses. Balance compromises every recipe, which always start with fresh ingredients and evolve to something tantalizing and addictive.
How to Make Shrimp Rice Noodle Bowls:
Firstly, let's go over the condiments used to make these bowls to life. In place of adding salt, we're relying on fish sauce—a staple in Southeast Asian cooking—to achieve all the salty, savory goodness. Just don't be deterred by its pungent aroma; a few dashes lends all the funk and savory depth we need.
Another condiment we're leaning on for streamlined flavor is chili-garlic sauce. Sure, you could add fresh minced garlic and chiles, but this fiery paste lends a concentrated dose of aromatics and heat that I seriously love.
Additionally, ground turmeric lends a unique and earthy note, while fresh ginger adds pungency and pop. Side note: Knobs of fresh ginger will keep in a plastic bag in your produce drawer for about a month, so no need to worry about wasting what you don't end up using for this recipe.This is the perfect weeknight dinner because it requires very little maintenance and comes together in just 30 minutes. And you won't believe how fantastic leftovers are once those flavors really have a chance to marry.
If you give this recipe a try, be sure to tag #dishingouthealth on Instagram so I can see your beautiful creations. And if you have a chance, come back and comment below and rate the recipe—it helps tremendously in terms of web searches!
Other Easy Shrimp Recipes:
One Skillet Lemon Pepper Shrimp and Orzo
One Pot Harissa Shrimp and Feta Orzo
Vietnamese Shrimp and Rice Noodle Bowls
- 1 lb. raw peeled and deveined medium shrimp
- 2 small shallots sliced thin
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp. fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Asian chili-garlic sauce
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp. freshly grated ginger
- ½ tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 8-oz. box pad thai rice noodles (such as Annie Chun's)
- 1 Tbsp. sesame oil
- Garnishes: ¼ cup each fresh basil leaves thinly sliced green onion, and roasted chopped peanuts
- Place shrimp in a large bowl; add shallots, vegetable oil, fish sauce, chili-garlic sauce, lime zest (reserve juice), ginger, and turmeric; gently toss to combine. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Cook noodles according to package instructions. Toss immediately with sesame oil to avoid sticking. Divide evenly into each of 4 bowls.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and marinade; cook 3 to 4 minutes, tossing occasionally to ensure shrimp browns on both sides. Spoon mixture over noodles. Garnish with basil leaves, green onion, and peanuts. Squeeze lime juice overtop.
WOW WOW WOW. Your shrimp recipes are always so incredibly flavorful and this one may be my fave of all time! I expect this one to be even tastier for leftovers! You are our absolute favorite 🙂
I tripled this for our family and it was delicious, prepped everything earlier and quickly put it together at dinner time! Great flavors and crunch!
Husband said, boldly “this is the best shrimp dish you ever made.” He might be right. And, It was so simple
I'm so thrilled you and your husband enjoyed this one! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a rating and review!
This was a simple recipe that I tried tonight with a side of white rice instead of noodles and longevity spinach sauteed in sesame oil , garlic and onions. The shrimp was deliciious and my boys were very happy to try this recipe which they want repeated. Thank you.
Hi Anh, I'm so glad the recipe was a hit for you and your family! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review.
This was so delicious! Thank you for such a quick and healthy meal idea!!