30 Minute Vegan Chickpea Curry with kale and a wealth of aromatics in a full-bodied curry sauce. This healthy weeknight curry is easy to make and perfect for meal prep.
The Best Vegan Chickpea Curry:
Question: is it weird to admit that I’ve eaten this for breakfast two days in a row now? Either way, talk about a taste bud wake up call.
I think we can all agree that the weeks leading up to any big holiday can be all-consuming. As such, simple yet comforting meals have been key. So, the fact that this meal comes together in less than 30 minutes AND contains my favorite food (peanut butter) has made it my ultimate go-to.
Plus, it’s infinitely healthier than the Reese’s pumpkins I’ve been consuming on the daily (damn you, post-Halloween sales).
Is Curry Healthy?
One of the quintessential spices in curry is turmeric, which gives it the beautifully golden hue. Turmeric has both anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, giving curries a restorative kick. I know I’ve expressed my deeply rooted love for turmeric on numerous occasions, but I can’t get enough. In fact, on mornings I’m not eating leftover curry for breakfast (a’hem), I actually add turmeric to my scrambled eggs for an extra nutritional boost.
Additionally, most curries (including this one) contain ginger, which has its own set of nutritional perks. Ginger is comprised of several compounds that are thought to provide health benefits. However, one of the most studied is an anti-inflammatory and antioxidant compound called gingerol, which could have a protective effect against certain diseases.
Turmeric, chili paste and peanut butter build the savory backbone of the curry sauce, while bell peppers, kale and chickpeas add a wonderful array of textures. A generous dollop of yogurt adds velvety creaminess and the ultimate silky finish. I also like to finish it off with a squeeze of fresh lime juice for bright flavor and a jolt of freshness.
This curry is a great accompaniment to rice, quinoa, noodles, or whichever whole grain you prefer. One serving has a whopping 9 grams of plant-based protein, plus lots of heart-healthy fiber. Pretty enough to showcase, yet weeknight-fast, it’s the ultimate plant-powered meal. (And, bonus: it tastes even better the next day, making leftovers a total dream.)
If you give this recipe a try, be sure to tag #dishingouthealth on Instagram so I can see your beautiful creations!
Other Healthy Curry Recipes:
30 Minute Vegan Chickpea Curry
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 3 cups chopped or roughly torn kale
- 1 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups unsweetened almond cashew, or coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp creamy peanut butter
- 1 Tbsp. red thai curry paste
- 1 15 ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Optional toppings: fresh lime juice Greek (or coconut milk) yogurt, cilantro
- Rice noodles, or quinoa for serving
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper; cook 3 minutes, or until tender. Add garlic and kale; cook until kale is wilted; about 2 minutes. Stir in turmeric, ginger, salt and pepper.
- Pour in milk and mix in peanut butter and curry paste. Add chickpeas and bring mixture to a simmer; cook 10 to 12 minutes, until sauce slightly thickens.
- Serve over rice, noodles, or quinoa. Add a dollop of Greek (or coconut) yogurt, a squeeze of fresh lime juice and fresh cilantro, if desired.