Turmeric-Tempeh Coconut Curry is a delicious, 20-minute solution to easy weeknight cooking. This vegan, fiber-and-protein-packed main is kid-friendly and perfect for make-ahead meals. HAPPY 2018, FRIENDS!! Can you believe it?! I hope you woke up this morning with a burning desire to make 2018 your best year yet. (Even if you’re suffering from a minor champagne hangover—oomph, those are the worst.)
2017 was pretty heavy for me—personally and professionally. A lot of change, curveballs, stressors, heartbreak, and low-frequency feelings all-around. Although with that came a lot of beauty and growth. I traveled a ton—Aspen, Denver, Chicago, Napa, San Fran, Destin, Nashville—I celebrated my little brother’s college graduation, I hit major work milestones, I soaked up immeasurable amounts of knowledge and fine-tuned my writing and cooking skills. 2017 challenged me in a lot of ways, and for that, I’d call it a success.
I talked about this briefly on my Instagram, but one of my intentions for 2018 is to stop glorifying being so damn busy, loosen my grip, and carve out more space for the simple things that feed my soul and ignite my creativity. Hiking, reading (for pleasure), dancing around my living room with no pants on, and heck, maybe even learning a new craft like making ceramics?!
What was YOUR biggest feat of the year? And what is one of your goals or intentions for 2018? Let’s share some high-frequency vibes to lead us proudly into the New Year.One of the things I hope you include in your 2018 is this DELICIOUS, SUPER-SIMPLE curry. It’s brimming with warm spices, lusciously creamy, and also happens to be completely plant-based and nutrient-packed.
It’s perfect for quick weeknight dinners and make-ahead lunches. The curry mixture comes together in less than 20 minutes, and you can serve it over whatever grain you like—white or brown rice, quinoa, or even rice noodles.It’s also highly adaptable—toss in any vegetable or green you like! I used massaged lacinato kale, but feel free to substitute it for wilted spinach, sautéed bell peppers, snap peas, or any veg your heart desires.
Top it with a swoosh (technical term) of Greek yogurt to amp up the creaminess, some roughly chopped nuts to add a little crunch, and a bounty of fresh herbs to brighten everything up and you’re well on your way to curry nirvana. Damn, 2018 is looking mighty delicious so far.
Turmeric-Tempeh Coconut Curry
- 1 bunch lacinato kale roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp. avocado oil or any vegetable oil
- 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 8-oz. package tempeh, crumbled
- 1 large shallot finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tsp. Thai red curry paste
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup light unsweetened canned coconut milk
- 1/4 cup water
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 4 cups cooked basmati rice
- Greek yogurt chopped cashews or peanuts, and finely chopped green onion for serving
- Place kale in a large bowl; add 1 Tbsp. of the oil and 1/4 tsp. salt; massage into kale leaves until softened. Set aside.
- Heat remaining 1 Tbsp. oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add tempeh; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until browned. Add shallots and remaining 1/2 tsp. salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add garlic, curry paste, turmeric, and black pepper; cook 2 minutes, stirring often. Add coconut milk and water; bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in lime juice and cilantro.
- Divide rice evenly into each of 4 bowls. Top evenly with kale, followed by curry mixture (the hot curry with warm and wilt the kale). Top with a dollop of Greek yogurt, chopped nuts, and green onion, if desired.