Prepare yourself for one of the easiest, yet most versatile salsas to grace the recipe archive. Black beans mixed in a hodge podge of corn, tomatoes and feta cheese among other wonderful things. It’s light and refreshing with a kick of zesty spice.
I’ve seen other variations of this salsa made with juiced lime in place of dressing. I’ve made a lime version before and it is very good if you like the taste of lime. I mainly only enjoy limes in margaritas so I prefer a little dose of Italian dressing over the juiced citrus.
Saying this salsa is simple is even an understatement. All you need is a can opener, a cutting board and a knife. However, minimal slicing and dicing is even required. Which is unfortunate for me since I like to play with knives in the kitchen like a Samurai sword fighter. However fortunate for most when time is of the essence and flavor is paramount.
This salsa/salad/fiesta in a bowl makes an awesome accomplice to chicken, fish and beef. You could throw it in a taco, pile it over a bed of lettuce or eat it with some good ol’ tortilla chips. As long as it makes it to your mouth, mission accomplished.
I’d recommend making it the night before or at least 5 hours before serving to let all those flavors marry. This also allows the raw veggies to soften up a bit. I mix in the feta right before serving to assure the flavor stays sharp.
So simple but packs a ton a flavor. Winning combo.
Zesty Loaded Black Bean Salsa
Makes 5 cups prepared
- 1 10 ounce can diced tomatoes with green chiles, drained
- 1 15 ounce can sweet corn, drained and rinsed (or 1 cup frozen)
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup light Italian dressing
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 green pepper, finely diced
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 cup crumbled reduced fat feta cheese
- Combine all ingredients (except feta) in a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight or at least 5 hours before serving. Mix in crumbled feta right before serving.
Nutrition facts per serving (1/2 cup)
Calories: 110; Total Fat: 3.5 gm; Saturated Fat: 1.5 gm; Cholesterol: 5 mg; Sodium: 320 mg; Carbohydrates: 16 gm; Fiber: 4 gm; Sugar: 3 gm; Protein: 7 gm