Hearty whole wheat toast smothered in velvety avocado, loaded with sweet and spicy pomegranate salsa, and studded with creamy goat cheese. Enjoy this flavorful, nutritious toast for breakfast, or serve with crostini’s as a fun holiday appetizer!A jewel among winter fruits, the pomegranate’s sweet citrus flavor and vibrant ruby color makes this salsa absolutely shine. Infused with a jolt of spice from jalapeños and shallots, and with rich depth of flavor from white balsamic and herbs, it’s a total flavor fiesta.
Avocado toast makes the ULTIMATE vehicle of transportation for this salsa (are we painfully basic, yet?), but it also has many other uses!This beautiful salsa is an excellent complement to an array of proteins, too. Try it on top of chicken or white, flaky fish for a dazzling main course, or simply toss it with massaged kale for a hearty salad.
For an elegant holiday appetizer, serve it over crostini’s with a creamy cheese (goat cheese, brie, etc.) and I can guarantee it’ll make the table shine. Plus, it’s quite possibly the BEST balance of sweet and savory in existence. Fresh pomegranates are in season from September to January, packing a full load of nutrients and health benefits. In addition to being rich in antioxidants, pomegranate adds a refreshing burst of natural sweetness for minimal added sugar.
Removing the arils from the fruit may seem like the most tedious part, but there is a trick to making it substantially easier.
- Cut off the crown and slice the pomegranate into 2 or 4 sections.
- Place the sections in a bowl of warm water and roll out the arils with your fingers.
- Discard the white membranes (these will float to the top of the water), drain the water, and voila! A bowl of ruby red jewels are yours for the taking.
It’s pretty majestic, honestly. These toasts come together in 15 minutes tops. Very minimal slicing and dicing, and essentially no cooking involved (toasting the bread doesn’t count!). Fit for entertaining, yet weekday fast — now that’s what I’m taking about!
- 1 cup pomegranate arils (from 1 pomegranate)
- 1 tbsp fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tsp white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp orange zest + 2 tsp orange juice
- 1 tsp finely diced jalapeño (stems and seeds removed)
- ½ tsp finely minced shallot
- ½ tsp sea salt, divided
- 4 slices whole grain bread (or crostini's), toasted
- 1 large avocado (or two small)
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 ounce goat cheese
- In a small bowl, combine pomegranate arils, mint, parsley, balsamic, orange zest, juice, jalapeño, shallot, and ¼ tsp sea salt. Mix to combine.
- Place avocado in a separate bowl. Thoroughly mash with a fork. Add lemon juice and remaining ¼ tsp salt. Mix to combine.
- Spread mashed avocado on toast. Top with pomegranate salsa and sprinkle with goat cheese. Serve.