Warm Lentil Salad with sun-dried tomatoes, kale, and herb-marinated feta. Filled with nutritious, flavorful ingredients, enjoy this warm lentil salad with feta as an entree or side dish.
This recipe post is proudly sponsored by DeLallo, however all opinions are my own.Read more
Why You'll Love this Warm Lentil Salad with Feta:
My love for lentils runs deep. This affordable pantry staple is a mainstay in my diet year-round, and I love adding them to soups and salads to boost protein and fiber.
Just like my Mediterranean Lentil Salad, this recipe is hearty and filling, yet still feels light and fresh.
Lentils are simmered in a flavorful broth before being tossed with kale and sun-dried tomatoes. I love to top it with a lemony, herb-y feta mixture for a bright, briny finish.
In addition to being flavorful and nourishing, this lentil salad is also:
- A great meal prep contender.
- A delicious way to incorporate more meatless meals.
- Budget-friendly and super versatile.
- Lentils: Lentils are fiber and protein powerhouses. They are an excellent swap for meat in vegetarian and vegan cooking, because they make dishes extra hearty and satisfying. Plus, they’re budget friendly, and keep for a while.
- DeLallo Julienne Cut Sun-Dried Tomatoes: These bright, tangy tomatoes are packed in a marinade of Italian extra-virgin olive oil, herbs, and spices. The julienne cut make them super convenient for tossing in salads, pasta, and omelettes, or for topping pizzas and crostini appetizers.
- DeLallo Private Reserve Extra-Virgin Olive Oil: This superior olive oil is crafted from hand-selected olives specially sourced from small, family-owned orchards in Italy. Its balanced, bright flavor is best enjoyed raw, which is why it makes an exceptionally delicious dressing.
- Shallots: You need 1 medium shallot, which you can swap for yellow or sweet onion.
- Garlic: The recipe calls for 2 garlic cloves, however feel free to add more if you're a garlic lover.
- Coriander: This ground spice has a slight citrusy flavor with a hint of earthiness. Alternatively, you can use fennel seeds.
- Feta: You need 4 ounces of feta, which you can crumble or break into chunks.
- Lemon: You need the zest and juice of 1 lemon, which adds bright top notes. If you're not using lemon, the lentils will still greatly benefit from some form of acid. A drizzle of sherry vinegar, for example, is a great alternative.
- Herbs: I prefer using a combination of dill and parsley, however cilantro also works great here.
- Kale: You can use lacinato or green curly kale here. Just be sure to chop it small enough so it wilts into the warm lentils.
- DeLallo Modena Balsamic Glaze: This velvety rich condiment boasts a sweetly complex flavor that complements the savory nature of this salad beautifully.
For a complete list of ingredients and quantities, see the recipe card below.
- Add Dates: If you enjoy little pops of sweetness in your salads, add 2-3 chopped fresh dates.
- Drizzle with Tahini: For extra creaminess, drizzle the salad with 2 Tablespoons of well-stirred tahini.
- Add Roasted Veggies: This salad can easily be elevated with the addition of roasted eggplant, zucchini, and/or fennel.
- Garnish with Nuts or Seeds: For a little crunch, garnish the salad with pistachios or pepitas.
- Add Bacon: For extra richness, add pieces of crispy bacon.
Step 1: Sauté aromatics in olive oil until fragrant. Next, mix in lentils, water, and salt; bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, and gently simmer until the lentils are tender.
Step 2: Prepare marinated feta by combining feta, lemon zest and juice, herbs, and olive oil in a medium bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Step 3: Add kale and sun-dried tomatoes to the pot of lentils. Stir until the kale wilts.
Step 4: Assemble salad by transferring lentil mixture to a serving platter or bowl. Scatter feta mixture overtop, and finish with a drizzle of balsamic glaze.
This warm lentil salad with feta is hearty enough to enjoy on its own, yet versatile enough to pair with other dishes. Here are some of my favorite pairings:
Soup: This Creamy Tomato Soup makes a fantastic lunch pairing.
Roasted Veggies: Keep with the Mediterranean theme and prepare these incredible Harissa Roasted Carrots with Tahini Sauce.
Grilled Eggplant: Lentils and eggplant were just made for one another. Try this epic Grilled Eggplant for a standout side dish.
Refrigerate leftover salad in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
When ready to eat, enjoy the salad cold or closer to room temperature.
If you only have brown lentils on hand, they may be swapped for the green lentils without drastically altering the final taste or texture of this dish.
More Delicious Lentil Recipes to Try:
If you give this warm lentil salad with feta a try, be sure to snap a pic and tag #dishingouthealth on Instagram so I can see your creations. Also, follow along on Facebook and Pinterest for the latest recipe updates!
Warm Lentil Salad with Marinated Feta
- Medium saucepan
- Mixing bowl
- ¼ cup plus 1 Tbsp. DeLallo Private Reserve Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 medium shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 cup dry green lentils
- 4 cups water
- ¾ tsp. kosher salt, or more to taste
- 4 cups chopped kale
- ½ cup DeLallo Julienne Cut Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- 4 oz. feta cheese, broken into chunks
- 1 tsp. lemon zest, plus 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 Tbsp. DeLallo Modena Balsamic Glaze (or 2 pitted and chopped Medjool dates)
- Heat 1 Tbsp. of the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots and garlic; sauté until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Stir in coriander.Add lentils, 4 cups of water, and salt; bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, and gently simmer until the lentils are tender, about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Prepare marinated feta by combining feta, lemon zest and juice, parsley, dill, and remaining ¼ cup olive oil in a medium bowl. Season with a pinch of salt and a few grinds of black pepper.
- Once lentils are tender, drain any remaining liquid and add kale; toss until the greens wilt. Stir in sun-dried tomatoes. Taste and season with a pinch more salt, if desired. (Note: if you're using dates in place of the balsamic glaze, mix them in now.)
- Empty lentils out onto a serving platter or bowl. Scatter marinated feta mixture overtop, and finish with a drizzle of balsamic glaze.
- Refrigerate leftover salad in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- When ready to eat, enjoy the salad cold or closer to room temperature.