Smoky mushrooms and cumin-scented lentils join forces in these plant-powered tacos for the ultimate weeknight meal. Vegan, gluten free, and ready in only 30 minutes!After a week-long hiatus, I’m back with what might be my new favorite taco recipe(!!). And with 40 degree temps this weekend in Birmingham, I am definitely craving some south-of-the-border flavors.
And a spiked hot chocolate, if I’m being honest.This past week has been a DOOZY since returning from Colorado.
I flew out to Denver last Friday to meet my brother and his girlfriend, and the three of us took off to Aspen for the weekend. We had the most incredible time and literally felt like we were frolicking around the inside of the SNOW GLOBE. Seriously, some of the most beautiful mountainscapes I have ever seen.
And here I was thinking the definition of beauty was a fully stocked Whole Foods salad bar. But since getting back to reality, life has been nonstop. You know those weeks where you feel like you’re so swamped and deep into the weeds that you can’t even process a single thought at the end of the day?
Yeah, me too.
I was so glad to finally have some down time this weekend to retreat back to my happy place – the kitchen! I was thinking of all sorts of Super Bowl and Valentines Day recipes to develop, but another topic superseded these two food holidays in relevance… WEEKNIGHT MEALS.If you all can relate to the week I just had (we all have ’em, right?), then I hope you find solace in this 30-minute recipe.
It’s super simple, yet delivers a comforting, flavorful, nutritious meal on the fly. Umami-rich mushrooms add meaty flavor and texture, while lentils add a hearty dose of fiber and plant-powered protein.
I like to add a jolt of smoked paprika to the ‘shrooms to infuse them with deep peppery flavor. Though if you have a go-to taco spice blend, feel free to use that instead!As far as toppings, add whatever you like! I love a simple cilantro and lime-infused yogurt spread for velvety creaminess and cooling contrast. Avocado, shaved radishes, red cabbage, and kale also make fabulous accoutrements.
Give this tasty recipe a try this week for meatless Monday, taco Tuesday, or heck, even breakfast Wednesday topped with some scrambled eggs. I LITERALLY JUST THOUGHT OF THAT. Can we fast-forward to breakfast now?
30 Minute Lentil and Mushroom Tacos
- 1/2 cup dried green brown, or French lentils
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms quartered
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. lower sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 8 corn tortillas heated according to package instructions
- **Cilantro-Lime Yogurt Spread**
- 1/2 cup plain 2% reduced-fat Greek yogurt sub for coconut yogurt if making vegan
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- Optional toppings: avocado shaved radishes, red cabbage slaw.
- Place lentils and broth in a large saucepan. Bring to a rapid simmer over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Add water as needed to make sure the lentils are just barely covered. Once cooked, strain excess liquid, stir in cumin, and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, and cook 3-4 minutes, until softened. Add tamari, garlic powder, smoked paprika, and black pepper; toss to coat. Add lentils; toss to combine.
- Place yogurt, cilantro, lime, and salt in a small bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Spoon 3 Tbsp taco filling into each tortilla. Top with 1 Tbsp. yogurt spread and toppings of choice.