Tuscan Tortellini and Tomato Soup is a hearty one-dish meal that comes together in just 40 minutes. Serve this vegetarian main with crusty Italian bread and this soup is guaranteed to soothe your soul. After an amazing weekend in Key West celebrating my best friend’s wedding, I arrived home yesterday to 25 degree temps and a car covered in snow. So, in 24 hours, I went from sand to snow, frozen coladas to hot chocolate, and sandals to fleece lined boots. Nothing like shocking the system to keep the body guessing!
With the drastic drop in temperature, the only thing I’ve been craving is soup. VATS of piping hot soup with loads of Parmesan and even more crusty bread (because what other way is there to soup?).
Enter: this cozy hug-in-a-bowl. This bowl of bliss is chock-full of fire-roasted tomatoes, meaty mushrooms, chard, 3-cheese tortellini, and a kitchen sink’s worth of aromatics. Freshly grated Parmesan adds a hit of salty, full-bodied flavor.
Prepackaged tortellini are one of my MVP convenience items for streamlined weeknight meals. I always look for the whole-wheat variety, but they sometimes can be hard to find. If you can’t track them down, you’ll get plenty of fiber and nutrients from the beans and veggies. This soup is also highly customizable: if you or your family dislike any particular ingredient, either sub it out or eliminate in entirely. You can substitute the chard for kale, mushrooms for zucchini, and great northern beans for chickpeas. If you’re looking for a meaty lift, either ground sausage or chorizo would compliment this flavor profile deliciously.
Garnish with fresh basil or parsley for a bright finish and it hits all of the notes of a hearty, Italian wonder.With minimal effort and maximum results, this simple soup will fit right into your weekday lunch or dinner lineup.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 1 (8-oz.) pkg. sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 3 Tbsp. tomato paste
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 cups lower sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- ¾ tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 (14.5-oz.) cans unsalted fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15-oz.) can great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 bunch red chard, stemmed and roughly chopped
- 2 (9-oz.) pkgs. 3-cheese tortellini (whole-wheat, if available)
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Fresh basil for serving
- Heat oil in a large stock pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and mushrooms; cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened. Stir in tomato paste and red pepper flakes; cook 1 minute. Add broth, water, salt, pepper, diced tomatoes, and beans; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- Stir in chard and tortellini; Cook 8 minutes or until tortellini are done. Stir in cheese and divide soup evenly into 8 bowls. Garnish with fresh basil, if desired.