Strawberry-lemon cardamom brunch cake offers dairy-free, whole-grain elegance to be enjoyed for a spring-inspired brunch or evening sweet treat.This post is in partnership with Sprouts Farmers Market and So Delicious Dairy Free. I was compensated for my time, however all opinions are my own.
Today, we’re making dessert healthy enough for breakfast, which is always a fun challenge. Now that it’s warm enough to entertain outdoors again, I was determined to create a treat that emulates the fruity, floral essence of spring.
So, I present you: Strawberry-Lemon Cardamom Brunch Cake.
What Does Olive Oil Cake Taste Like?
This brunch cake is unique in that it’s completely dairy-free and made instead with extra-virgin olive oil. Some may not realize, but olive oil is liquid GOLD in baked goods. Most importantly, it lends superior moisture, which keeps cake fresh far longer than butter ever could. Additionally, it contributes a pleasant fruity flavor with peppery, grassy notes, which complement the floral spice of cardamom beautifully.
How Do I Make Cake Dairy-Free?
While most brunch cakes include dairy either in the batter or frosting, we’re leaning on So Delicious Dairy Free Coconutmilk Yogurt Alternative to achieve supreme moisture. Its rich creaminess comes from organic coconutmilk, and it’s naturally free of lactose, casein, carrageenan, artificial flavors, and MSG. In addition, So Delicious Dairy Free products are USDA Organic and verified by the Non-GMO Project’s product verification program.
Seek them out at Sprouts Farmers Market and tap into the Sprouts mobile app to retrieve product coupons (1 FREE with purchase of 4 until June 4th) as part of their Checkout Challenge. In addition, pick up one of the new So Delicious Frozen Desserts including Dairy-Free Mousse and Oatmilk Frozen Desserts to try!
What Does Cardamom Taste Like?
Cardamom is one of my absolute favorite spices for many reasons. Firstly, it’s vividly aromatic and can lend a floral lift to both sweet or savory recipes. Secondly, this warming spice boasts heart-healthy and anti-inflammatory benefits, which may help ward off stomach ulcers. You can purchase cardamom in the spice section of most grocery stores, or the bulk spice section of Sprouts Farmers Market at a lower cost.
How Do I Keep Cake Fresh?
For maximum freshness, store the cake covered at room temperature for up to 4 days. When ready to enjoy, pair a slice with a hot mug of Earl Grey tea or almond milk latte.To sum up, this lemon-scented cake is an elegant treat all by itself, or topped with coconut glaze and fresh fruit. If you prefer, feel free to to use blueberries, raspberries, or both, in place of strawberries. Lastly, be sure to tag #dishingouthealth on your recipe remakes so I can bask in the beauty of them.
Other Healthy Brunch Recipes:
Strawberry-Lemon Cardamom Brunch Cake
- 1 ½ cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 2 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1 ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil plus extra for greasing pan
- 1 5.3-oz. container So Delicious Dairy Free Plain Coconutmilk Yogurt
- 2 tsp. lemon zest plus 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 12 oz. fresh strawberries hulled and roughly chopped
- *Coconut Glaze* optional
- 4 Tbsp. So Delicious Dairy Free Plain Coconutmilk Yogurt
- 3 Tbsp. powdered sugar
- 2 tsp. coconutmilk or milk alternative of choice
- Optional garnish: thinly sliced lemon
- Start by preheating oven to 350°F. Drizzle bottom and sides of a 9” baking pan with olive oil and use your fingers to coat. Line bottom of pan with a round of parchment paper and smooth to eliminate bubbles; coat parchment with more oil or nonstick spray.
- Next. combine flour, cardamom, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl; stir with a whisk.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat eggs and sugar until smooth. With motor running on medium speed, gradually stream in olive oil and beat until combined. Add coconutmilk yogurt, lemon zest and juice, and vanilla extract; beat on medium speed until mixture is smooth.
- Pour olive oil mixture into flour mixture; stir with a spatula until just combined. Fold in two-thirds of the strawberries. Pour mixture into prepared baking pan and sprinkle remaining strawberries over top. Bake until top is golden brown and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
- Let cake cool in pan for 1 hour. Run a thin knife around edges of cake and remove from pan and transfer to a wire rack to let cool completely.
- Lastly, prepare glaze by combining all glaze ingredients and whisking until smooth. Pour over cooled cake and spread to the edges, letting some glaze drizzle over. Garnish with lemon slices, if desired, and cut into 12 slices.