Spiced lentil burgers with tahini slaw are made with pantry-staple ingredients and come together in 30 minutes. Vegan, gluten free, freezer-friendly, and nutrient-packed.The frozen food aisle abounds with frozen veggie burger options these days, however look beyond the main ingredient and you’ll find that most are highly processed. What some shoppers may believe is a healthier bean-based burger could include myriad of stabilizers, artificial colors or flavors, and isolated proteins.
Therefore, I set out to create a patty using wholesome ingredients that’s also free of eggs (for my vegan pals), gluten (for my wheat-sensitive pals), and any obscure binding agents. Certainly not the easiest task I’ve taken on lately, however totally worth it.
How to Make Vegan Burgers:
One of the major perks of these patties is they rely mainly on pantry staples: for example, green lentils, tomato paste, and some standard spices. Additionally, they don’t require chilling before searing, meaning they come together in right around 30 minutes.
These patties get most of their heft and staying power from protein- and fiber-rich lentils. Most of the lentils get mashed, therefore acting as a filler and binder, while the rest are left whole for added texture. Cook your own at home, or look for steamed, vacuum-packed lentils in the grain aisle for convenience.
In terms of toppers, the tahini cabbage slaw adds colorful and crunchy contrast to the earthy burgers. I also love adding a slick of tahini under the burger patty to help adhere it to the bun. My go-to tahini is Soom brand; it’s unctuous and smooth with rich sesame flavor. If you’d like try out any of the Soom products, you can get 10% off your order by using the code ‘dishingouthealth’ at checkout!To sum up, these burgers are nutrient-packed, made with real ingredients, and are weeknight-friendly. So, the final question is if they complete with their meaty, complex cousins? That’s for you to determine!
Be sure to tag #dishingouthealth on Instagram if you make these plant-based burgs, and I’d love if you could come back and leave a review!
Other Vegetarian Burger Recipes:
Spiced Lentil Burgers with Tahini Slaw (Vegan)
- *Spiced Lentil Burgers*
- 1 1/2 cups cooked green lentils
- 1/2 cup finely grated carrots
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- 1 Tbsp. minced fresh garlic
- 3/4 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 to asted buns
- *Tahini Slaw*
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 Tbsp. tahini
- 1 tsp. granulated sugar
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place 1 cup of the lentils in a large bowl and thoroughly mash. Stir in remaining 1/2 cup whole lentils. Squeeze carrots with a paper towel to remove excess moisture, and stir into lentil mixture. Add next 8 burger ingredients (tomato paste through black pepper); mix well until cohesive. Divide and shape lentil mixture into 4 patties. (*Note: if mixture is too wet, sprinkle in 1 to 2 Tbsp. flour of choice)
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook burger patties until golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
- Prepare Tahini Slaw by combining lemon juice, tahini, and sugar in a bowl; mix well. Toss with cabbage, carrots, and parsley; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place one lentil burger on each of 4 buns. Top lentil patties with slaw.