Spiced lentil burgers with tahini slaw are made with wholesome, pantry-staple ingredients and come together in right under 30 minutes. Vegan, gluten free, freezer-friendly, and nutrient-packed.The frozen food aisle abounds with frozen veggie burger options these days, but look beyond the main ingredient and you’ll find that most are highly processed. What some shoppers may believe is a healthier bean-based burger could include myriad of stabilizers, artificial colors or flavors, and isolated proteins.
So I set out to create a patty using wholesome ingredients that’s also free of eggs (for my vegan pals), gluten (for my wheat-sensitive pals), and most typical binding agents. Certainly not the easiest task I’ve taken on lately, but boy was it worth it.
One of the major perks of these patties is they rely mainly on pantry staples: green lentils, tomato paste, and a few standard spices. They also don’t require chilling before searing, meaning they come together in right under 30 minutes. Hellllo weeknight bliss!These patties get most of their heft and staying power from protein- and fiber-rich lentils. Most of the lentils get mashed, acting as a filler and binder, while the rest are left whole for added texture. You could either cook your own at home, or look for steamed, vacuum-packed lentils in the grain aisle for convenience.
In terms of toppers, the tahini cabbage slaw adds colorful and crunchy contrast to the earthy burgers. I also love adding a slick of tahini under the burger patty to help adhere it to the bun. My go-to tahini is Soom brand; it’s unctuous and smooth with rich sesame flavor. If you’d like try out any of the Soom products, you can get 10% off your order by using the code ‘dishingouthealth’ at checkout!Real ingredients. Nutrient-packed. Weeknight-friendly. Big favor (and even bigger payoff).
So the final question is if they complete with their meaty, complex cousins? That’s for you to determine 😉
Be sure to tag #dishingouthealth on Instagram if you make these plant-based burgs, and I’d love if you could come back and leave a review! Cheers, friends.
- *Spiced Lentil Burgers*
- 1½ cups cooked green lentils
- ½ cup grated carrot
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- ¾ tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 toasted buns
- *Tahini Slaw*
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- ¼ cup fresh chopped parsley
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 Tbsp. tahini
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Place 1 cup of the lentils in a large bowl and thoroughly mash with a potato masher, bottom of a mug, or fork. Stir in remaining ½ cup whole lentils and next 9 burger ingredients (carrots through black pepper); mix well until conhesive. Divide and shape lentil mixture into 4 patties.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook burger patties until golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
- Combine all Tahini Slaw ingredients in a large bowl; mix well.
- Place one lentil burger on each of 4 buns. (If desired, spread an extra layer of tahini on bottom half of bun to help adhere patty to bun.) Top lentil patties with slaw.