Since i'm all about the fall football food right now, I wanted to make some kind of hand-held treasure that wasn't beef, chicken, or pork since we already have copious amounts of those around. I wanted a flavor-packed slider with a creamy sauce and loads of toppings because mini food means you get to eat more, right??? 😉
These sliders come together quickly and are such a fun twist on eating a plain ol' salmon filet. They will also make you think you're eating something much more indulgent than you really are. You will get a boatload (legit unit of measurement in my vocab) of heart-healthy omega-3 fats in just one slider. It's FEEL GOOD food, y'all!
However that beautiful golden crust, hints of smoked paprika and wonderful aromatic herbs just take them to another level. A level that I want in my dinner rotation on a weekly basis.
If you're not feelin' the sliders, there are a ton of delicious alternatives to use the salmon patties for. Break them up and stuff them in a wrap, use them as a topping for a big voluminous green salad OR (best one) top them with a fried egg, arugula and a drizzle of maple syrup and get your breakfast game-face on. YES.
I kind of want to make them into mini meatballs next and serve them over a bed of spaghetti squash. Ehh?? Or just pop them into my mouth one by one like this bag of almond M&M's i'm currently demolishing while typing this post. Because, Monday.
Toppings for these are totally customizable, though I went pretty traditional with lettuce, sliced red onion and avocado. Though I have to admit, perhaps a little slice of bacon on top would just bring them from a 10 to a 10,000. The additional smoky flavor plus the added crunch.. drool.
Smoky Salmon Sliders with Lemon Dill Yogurt Spread
- 1 lb boneless salmon fillets
- 1 egg
- ½ cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 shallot finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chives finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger or ½ teaspoon ground
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon olive oil for cooking
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 10 slider rolls
- Optional toppings: lettuce or arugula avocado, sliced red onion
- -----Lemon Dill Yogurt Spread-----
- 3 tablespoon 0% fat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoon reduced fat mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1-2 teaspoon each freshly chopped dill and chives
- Juice of one whole lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Set oven to broil (~500 degrees F). Line a baking sheet with foil and coat with non-stick cooking spray. Set salmon skin-side down and season flesh with salt and pepper. Broil for 8 minutes until salmon is medium-rare. Set aside until cool enough to handle. Discard skin.
- Transfer salmon to a large bowl and combine with remaining ingredients. Mix all ingredients thoroughly (best to do with your hands so you break up any chunks of salmon) until well combined.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add a dash of olive oil. Form salmon burgers into 10 well-rounded patties. Cook for 3-5 minutes per side, until browned.
- In the meantime, prepare spread by mixing all ingredients in a medium-sized bowl.
- To assemble, coat bottom half of slider with yogurt spread. Top with salmon patty and toppings of choice. Serve!