Shaved brussels and pear salad with pumpkin seeds, golden raisins, and Manchego cheese tossed in a punchy lemon-Dijon vinaigrette. This simple salad makes delicious use of fall produce and comes together in a flash. You know when fall salads come in clutch? On days when you freeze your ass off in the morning but then the temperature spikes up to 85 degrees by noon. You’re still craving fall produce, but a warm butternut squash soup does not sound appealing when you’re actively sweating through your knitted cardigan.
I crave salads like this consannntly. They feel hearty, yet still embody the coveted lightness you seek out in a salad. The contrast of assertive Brussels with juicy pears, slivers of Manchego, and toasty pumpkin seeds lets your palate know right from the start that this salad will be full of personality.
I scored a few beautiful red pears at my local market and thought they provided pretty color contrast against all the green action, but feel free to use whichever pears look good, or sub them for red apples!This salad holds up beautifully when made (and dressed!) ahead. I actually preferred it on day two after the dressing marinated into the greens and softened their bitter edge.
Manchego adds the perfect dose of salty creaminess, but feel free to use Parmesan or Pecorino Romano if you have those on hand. For the record, I would not mind tucking into this salad every day for the remainder of fall.
- 1 lb. Brussels sprouts, any discolored leaves discarded and stems left intact
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp. pure maple syrup
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 red Bartlett or anjou pear, sliced thin
- ¼ cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- ⅓ cup grated Manchego cheese
- Holding each Brussels sprout by stem end, cut into very thin slices using slicer. Toss in a bowl to separate layers.
- In a small bowl, combine dressing ingredients: olive oil, lemon juice, Dijon, maple syrup, salt, and pepper; stir with a whisk. Pour over Brussels; toss to combine.
- Add remaining salad ingredients; toss to combine.