Miso-roasted eggplant gets a royal upgrade with feta, shallots, and a bright turmeric-tahini sauce. This satisfying meatless main is packed with anti-inflammatory ingredients and loaded with rich, umami flavor.Why it took me this long to combine two of my favorite ingredients (turmeric + tahini), I have NO idea. But this sauce is everything my roasted-veggie-loving heart could ever imagine—bright, nutty, wonderfully complex, and downright sultry.
It’s lick-the-bowl good and worthy of being spooned on everything from grilled fish to salads and grain bowls. Roasting the eggplant at high heat will make the flesh ultra tender while making the skin slightly crispy. Look for firm, small eggplants for best results. They should be firm to the touch, with glossy skin and bright green stems.
Since eggplant acts like a sponge, salting it prior to roasting helps draw out moisture and firm up the flesh. Upon roasting, eggplant transform into one of the most tender vegetables with a creamy flesh and satisfying meatiness. Done right, it’s easily one of my favorite bases for meatless dishes. Umami-rich miso is the perfect match for eggplant and a lovely compliment to nutty tahini. The flavors here work so beautifully together that you could pair this dish with just about any protein—fish, steak, chicken, or tofu.
A flurry of feta lends salty tang while shallots add welcomed crunch and a spicy kick. I like to finish it off with a handful of fresh herbs or microgreens for a punch of freshness.Enjoy this light summer dish as an appetizer, side dish, or main. (And use the leftover sauce liberally!)
Miso-Roasted Eggplant with Turmeric-Tahini Sauce
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. white miso
- 2 tsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 2 small-medium sized eggplants sliced into 1-inch disks
- 2 Tbsp. feta cheese
- 1 shallot sliced thin
- 1/4 cup microgreens or freshly chopped parsley or basil
- **Turmeric-Tahini Sauce**
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. tahini sesame seed paste
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Dash of kosher salt
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. water
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Arrange eggplant in a single layer over a paper towel-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle kosher salt evenly over top. Let stand 20 minutes. Press eggplant firmly with paper towels to remove excess moisture. Discard paper towels and arrange eggplant in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray (avoid overcrowding or eggplant won't brown. Use two baking sheets if needed.)
- In a large bowl, combine 1/4 cup olive oil, miso, and soy sauce; stir with a whisk. Brush miso mixture evenly over each side of eggplant disks. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, flipping once halfway through, until eggplant is golden in color.
- In a separate bowl, combine remaining 2 Tbsp. olive oil, tahini, lemon juice, turmeric, pepper, and salt; stir with a whisk. Add water gradually, in 1 Tbsp. increments, until desired consistency is reached. Set aside.
- Arrange roasted eggplant on a platter. Drizzle turmeric-tahini sauce overtop; garnish with sliced shallots, feta, and microgreens (or herbs).