Grilled romaine salads with buffalo tofu and tahini ranch dressing will be an instant hit with vegetarians and omnivores alike. This next-level salad is simple to prepare and will become a regular in your summer rotation. Moving week has arrived, friends! As I’m writing this post, I’m exactly 48 hours away from loading up the moving truck and making the 22 hour drive to Colorado. And, as of now, about 10% of my apartment is actually packed! So if anyone in the Birmingham area wants to come load boxes with me, I will pay you in grilled romaine salads.
Until then, I’ll probably keep going strong on this procrastination streak until I can’t possibly put it off any longer. Queen of efficiency over here.
The Best Grilled Romaine Salad:
This salad combines the irresistible crunch of a wedge salad with zippy buffalo sauce and a creamy sauce to tie it all together. I’ve never met a grilled salad I didn’t like, but this one goes down as one of my all-time favs.
And incase you’re skeptical about grilled greens, this recipe will certainly make you a believer. A quick char adds smoky depth and a glossy finish to crisp romaine hearts.
Here’s how it’s done. Simply slice the romaine hearts in half lengthwise, keeping the core intact on both halves. Next, brush the cut side with oil, and place each piece cut-side down on an outdoor grill (avoiding direct flames) or indoor grill pan. The key is to get a nice char while still keeping the inside tender and crunchy, so play it fast and hot.
Buffalo + Ranch = Winning Combo
If you or someone you’re cooking for is new to tofu, this is an excellent gateway recipe. Spicy buffalo sauce coats blank-canvas tofu like a dream, and gives more of wing eating experience than an alt-meat eating experience.
And as far as the tahini ranch, this is the condiment version of those fresh white sneakers you’ve been wearing all summer. Not only is it a fabulous contender for salads, but it goes with sandwiches, chips, and a tray of crudités.
I’m a loyalist to Soom tahini because its flavor is rich and luxurious and texture resembles a loose nut butter. And, if you’d like to try any of their products, you can get 10% off your purchase with code dishingouthealth. However, if you’re looking for a quick pick-up at the grocery store, Whole Foods 365 brand also makes a great one. This recipe serves four, but could be transformed into lettuce wraps for tailgating parties to serve more. Any excuse to eat more Buffalo-flavored food is a touchdown.
More Easy Vegan Recipes to Try:
Grilled Romaine with Buffalo Tofu and Tahini Ranch
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp. fresh chopped dill
- 2 tsp. fresh chopped chives
- 1 tsp. granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt divided
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 3 to 4 Tbsp. warm water
- 4 hearts of romaine each halved lengthwise
- 1 14-oz. pkg. extra-firm tofu, drained and pressed dry, and cut into small cubes
- 1/4 cup Franks RedHot Original Sauce
- 2 Tbsp. grass-fed butter melted (sub vegan butter if making vegan)
- 1 garlic clove minced
- Optional toppings: crumbled blue cheese, feta cheese, red onion, fresh chopped chives
- Combine tahini, 1 Tbsp. of the oil, lemon juice, dill, chives, sugar, 1/4 tsp. salt, black pepper, and garlic powder; whisk well. Gradually whisk in water in 1 Tbsp. increments until desired consistency is achieved.
- Preheat a grill or grill pan over medium-high. Lightly coat with cooking spray. Brush cut-side of romaine hearts evenly with 1 Tbsp. oil; sprinkle with remaining 1/4 tsp. salt. Working in batches, place romaine hearts, cut-side down, on grill or pan. Cook until char marks appear, about 3 minutes. Use a set of tongs to transfer romaine to a plate.
- Combine Frank's sauce, butter, and garlic in a bowl; whisk well. Set aside.
- Heat remaining 1 Tbsp. oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add tofu; cook 7 to 8 minutes, turning to brown all sides. Add buffalo sauce mixture, stirring constantly to fully coat tofu. Cook 2 additional minutes, until most sauce is absorbed. Remove from heat.
- Place two romaine hearts on each of four plates. Divide tofu evenly over each serving. Drizzle tahini-ranch overtop. Add toppings of choice and serve.