Fluffy chocolate protein pancakes with a hint of fresh orange and rich almond extract, covered in a decadent chocolate maple glaze. Say hello to all of your breakfast dreams!
On a scale of 1-1000, how badly do you want to dive fork-first into that stack?
Can we all agree that there is breakfast, and then there is breakfast dessert? Which is precisely what is pictured above. Thankfully this dessert-style breakfast will not give you a sugar crash, though it will, in fact, leave you feeling full, energized and beyond satisfied. It’s pure black magic.
I put these up to the toughest critic I know (aka my roommate/aka my boyfriend/aka my full-time dishwasher). He is the biggest texture-freak I know and always such a doomsdayer when it comes to protein pancakes. They’re either too “grainy”, not fluffy enough or my personal favorite, “there’s protein in these, huh?”. He would prefer I whip out a box of Bisquick and let Betty Crocker do the work for me.
So like the sneaky squirrel I am, I sat these in front of him without the slightest explanation and just said “HERE, TRY THESE”. His reaction?
“Ooooohhh these remind me of a chocolate cake donut”. SUCCCESSS!Does anyone else swoon over the combination of orange and chocolate? It might be my second favorite dessert pairing after chocolate and peanut butter. It’s just such a fantastic balance of flavors between the rich cocoa and fresh citrus. And could we get any more ideal for breakfast? It’s like eating a chocolate donut and washing it down with a glass of fresh-squeezed OJ for only 8 grams of sugar and a whopping 20 grams of protein.
To up the protein ante, I added a scoop of my trusted Sunwarrior chocolate protein. This protein is fantastic in just about any baked good or breakfast item. I’ve used it in oats, protein bars and even cheesecake! It’s not the least bit chalky and has a nice, mild flavor. It’s also 100% organic, vegan and contains no added sugar. These pancakes be easily be made vegan or paleo with a couple simple substitutions. They are rich in both protein and heart-healthy fats and naturally low in sugar.
And they are 100% calling your name right now.
This post is sponsored by Sunwarrior Protein, however all thoughts and opinions are my own.
Chocolate Orange Almond Protein Pancakes
- 1/2 cup almond meal/flour
- 1/4 cup oat flour*
- 1 scoop Sunwarrior Classic Chocolate Protein
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 large egg*
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/8 tsp almond extract
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice ~1/2 of an orange
- ~1/2 tsp orange zest
- **Chocolate Maple Glaze**
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup sub for sugar-free syrup, honey, agave or brown rice syrup
- 1 tsp orange zest
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine al dry ingredients: flours, protein powder, cocoa powder and baking powder. Mix to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine wet ingredients: egg, almond milk, almond extract , zest and juice from orange. Whisk to combine.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and stir to combine. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Spoon batter onto skillet, creating 4-5 pancakes. Cook for ~2-3 minutes, flip and cook for another minute or so. Transfer to plate.
- To create chocolate glaze, combine cocoa powder, syrup and zest in a small bowl and whisk to combine. If mix is too thick, any a tiny bit of water. Layer glaze in between pancakes and pour the remaining on top.
- Optional garnishes: orange slices, crushed pistachios, orange zest, dark chocolate chunks. Enjoy!
*If making vegan, sub egg for flax egg
*If making paleo, use 3/4 cup almond flour and omit oat flour