Grilled tofu, peach, and red onion skewers tossed in a sweet and spicy chili-lime sauce. This recipe boasts endless flavor and is well-worth firing up the grill (or grill pan!) for this summer. Welp, here we are. Summer 2017 kicks off TOMORROW. Can you believe it?! I’m excited for all of the wonderful summer produce (gimme ALL the tomatoes), but I am not so stoked for the scorching hot weather. Growing up in the south, it’s certainly not something I’m not accustomed to, but the feeling of walking around in a swamp never gets less miserable.
Though summery recipes like this can take the edge off. This recipe is the perfect marriage of sweet, spicy, and deeply savory flavors. Charring the peaches and red onion play up their sweetness and adds smoky, bitter notes. I used my trusted cast iron grill pan to achieve deep char marks (which I highly recommend!), but if you happen to have the outdoor grill fired up, these skewers loveee some live-fire.
After all, why should meat and fish get all the charcoal love?Imminently adaptable and riffable: Use any protein in place of the tofu, if you’re not a fan. Chicken breast, steak, or fish all work beautifully.
To achieve maximum char on the tofu, press the block of tofu between several layers of paper towels and squeeze out as much excess liquid as possible. Less moisture means better browning and less sticking in the pan. This is also why it’s best to add the sauce after the skewers are grilled — the porous surface of the tofu will soak in all that wonderful flavor while still maintaining crisp, browned edges. Your summer needs this recipe almost as bad as I need this Monday off right now. And trust me, even the biggest meat-lovers in your group will go nuts over it.
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. ground ginger
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black peppe
- 1 (14-oz.) package extra-firm tofu, drained and pressed to remove excess moisture
- 1 cup diced peaches
- ½ red onion, roughly chopped
- Cooking spray
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 Tbsp. lower-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tsp. light agave syrup
- 1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
- ½ tsp. chili garlic sauce (or chili oil)
- Fresh basil for garnish
- 1 bunch grilled green onion for garnish (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine garlic powder, chili powder, ground ginger, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- Slice tofu into 1-inch thick cubes. Thread 4 tofu pieces, 4 peach pieces, and 4 bunches of red onion evenly onto each of 5 (8-inch) skewers. Lightly coat with cooking spray and sprinkle evenly with spice mixture.
- Heat olive oil in a cast iron grill pan over medium-high. Place skewers on pan and grill 10 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Combine lime juice, soy sauce, agave, sesame oil, and chili garlic sauce in a small bowl. Brush mixture evenly over tofu skewers. Serve with fresh basil.