Root vegetable and goat cheese mini pizzas with chili honey make for the ultimate party appetizer or weeknight dinner. Infinitely customizable, use this recipe as your base to showcase fresh produce, healthy oils, and the sweet heat of irresistible chili honey. Greetings from Denver! Incase you missed it on the last post, I packed up my Birmingham apartment last week and made the 24 hour trek out west to beautiful Colorado, my new home. While I'm still in the throws of unpacking (my bedroom looks like a hurricane tore through it) and getting settled, I've also been working through some minor setbacks.
The last month of constant travel and go, go, go finally caught up with me and my immune system basically crashed upon arriving here. I spent the first two days fighting through pretty awful cold and flu-like symptoms coupled with unwavering lethargy. Just when I started to feel better, I made an impromptu visit to urgent care to get shards of glass removed from my foot (all thanks to a piece of crystal stemware that was shattered during the unpacking process).
With any cross-country move or major life transition, curveballs and general kinks in the flow are certainly anticipated. And on a positive note, I feel like I'm now on the upswing and genuinely cannot wait to be settled. I love this city and state with every fiber of my being and I'm ready to soak it all in.Now let's talk pizza! This veggie-packed pie hugs the line of late summer and early fall produce for a vibrant, fresh take on pizza. Swap out any of the root vegetables pictured here for your favorites—beets, radishes, sweet potato, or turnips.
A swipe of goat cheese plays off the sweet heat of the chili honey and rustic, earthiness of the root vegetables. I always like to reserve the leafy carrot tops to deploy a final layer of freshness to the pie (they pack just as much sweet carrot flavor as the root themselves!). If your carrots are topless (hehe), a flurry of fresh basil is also a lovely garnish.For ease and convenience, I've been using (and LOVING) naan flatbreads as a stand-in for pizza dough. I buy whole-wheat naan from Sprouts Market and they are just the perfect platform to showcase a bounty of healthy toppers. You can throw them on the outdoor or indoor grill pan and make literally any night pizza night.
I'm so excited to start sharing fall recipes with you starting next week (I've got a whole spreadsheet of ideas in the works), so be sure to check back after the weekend! Cheers, friends.
Roasted Root Vegetable and Goat Cheese Pizza with Chili Honey
- 3 Tbsp. honey
- ¼ tsp. crushed chili flakes
- 2 tsp. boiling water
- 2 large carrots peeled and sliced at a diagonal
- 2 large parsnips peeled and sliced at a diagonal
- 1 small red onion peeled sliced into 8 sections (leaving stem intact)
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp. dried oregano
- 4 whole-wheat naan breads
- 1 4-oz. log goat cheese, softened
- Optional garnish: carrot green tops or fresh basil
- Combine honey, chili flakes, and boiling water in a small bowl. Let stand at room temperature 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Arrange carrots, parsnips, and red onion on a large rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 Tablespoon of the oil. Season with salt, pepper, and oregano; gently toss to coat. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, tossing once halfway through.
- Brush naan breads with remaining 1 Tablespoon oil. Heat a grill pan coated with cooking spray over medium-high. Add one naan bread; grill 2 minutes, or until char marks appear, flip, and cook another 1 to 2 minutes. Remove to a cutting board.
- While naan breads are still warm, spread goat cheese evenly overtop (1 oz. per bread). Scatter roasted vegetables evenly overtop. Drizzle chili honey over each serving. Garnish with carrot green tops or fresh basil, if desired.