Light, refreshing Mediterranean-inspired salad with chick-peas, kidney beans, cucumber, radishes and feta tossed in a light lemon dill dressing. The perfect Spring salad that is light on calories, yet full on flavor.
This salad takes about 10 minutes to whip-up and only requires an hour or two of marinating. I used it throughout the work week for lunches and even topped grilled white fish with it for dinner. Deee-licious!
The flavors of lemon, dill, olive oil, salt and pepper just mesh and create wonders. It is the simplest of dressings, though fresh salads like this definitely don’t need to be overcomplicated.
Kidney beans are among the highest fiber-containing legume and are also an excellent source of potassium and magnesium. I’ve been absolutely loving them in all types of salad – pasta salads, quinoa salads, spinach salads, etc.
They’re also a great bean to cook with because they tend to soak up flavors like a sponge. Though I love their deep, full-bodied flavor and smooth texture without any additional add-ins.
…that sounded way too romantic for talking about beans.
Anyhoo, I like to take half of the feta that I’m planning on using for the salad when serving and crumble it in. If you think feta tastes good on it’s own, marinated feta is like giving your taste buds a big bear-hug. It is the real deal.
When you’re ready to eat your salad, go for it in it’s pure marinated form or toss it with some arugula or spinach. Either way, it is a nutritious, delicious delight that may become a staple in your Spring recipe repertoire.
Let’s salad up this Tuesday.
Mediterranean Bean Salad with Lemon Dill Dressing
Makes roughly 4 cups; keeps for 4-5 days refrigerated
- 1 15.5 ounce can chick-peas, drained and thoroughly rinsed
- 1 15.5 ounce can kidney beans, drained and thoroughly rinsed
- 1 small cucumber, sliced and then cut into quarters
- 5-6 radishes, thinly sliced
- Juice of 1 whole lemon
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1.5 ounces reduced-fat feta cheese (roughly 1/4-1/3 cup)
- 2-3 sprigs of fresh dill, roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- Cover and let marinade in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours before serving.
- Top with extra feta when serving (optional).
Nutrition Facts per Serving (1/2 cup)
Calories: 113; Total Fat: 5 gm; Saturated Fat: .5 gm; Cholesterol: 2 mg; Sodium: ~225 mg; Carbohydrates: 13.5 gm; Fiber: 4 gm; Sugar: 2.5 gm; Protein: 6.5 gm