Flourless 5-ingredient peanut butter cookies are the ultimate chewy, gluten-free cookie with unparalleled richness from peanut butter and roasted peanuts. Double the peanuts, double the fun. This recipe uses both creamy peanut butter and roasted peanuts for a double dose of rich, nutty decadence.
My personal thoughts on the peanut butter cookie is that I’ve maybe only had a handful that have satisfied me the way a classic chocolate chip cookie does. Most veer on the side of too crumbly, or are essentially just sugar cookies with a *hint* of peanut-y flavor.
My goal for these was to create a minimal ingredient cookie using only coconut sugar, peanut butter, peanuts, minimal butter, and an egg to allow the peanut flavor to really shine through. But let me tell you, it wasn’t easy. Mainly because the texture I was aiming for—crisp, golden brown edges with a chewy, moist center (as all cookies should be)—was hard to achieve without gluten. Gluten (from flour) is one of the key contenders in achieving that coveted chewiness, and since I was determined to make these flourless, I had to try alternative methods to achieve the texture that I KNEW peanut butter cookies were capable of.
After about 7 or 8 rounds (and tasting WAY more cookies than I thought my stomach was capable of handling), I finally landed on this crowd-pleasing recipe. And let me tell you, friends—it is a sure-fire way to reach cookie nirvana. Now let’s talk specifics in terms of peanut butter (my truest love). It turns out that the kind I typically buy was the one that worked best—all-natural with no added oil, sugar, or salt—for overall consistency and texture. The brands with added oil made the cookies spread out too much when they were baked and lose chewiness in the center. Smucker’s Natural Creamy Peanut Butter yielded the best results in terms of texture and flavor (the roasted peanut taste really shines in this brand).
Beyond being a stellar ingredient for cookies, peanut butter also has some nutritional perks: It’s a good source of protein and brimming with heart-healthy unsaturated fats. You’ve gotta love when baking invites the opportunity for nutritious ingredients, and these cookies are the ultimate healthy indulgence. Pack these crowd-pleasing cookies into your lunch for a healthier sweet that will help energize you through the afternoon.
And if you give this recipe a try, be sure to tag #dishingouthealth on Instagram so I can see your beautiful creations. And if you have a chance, come back and comment below and rate the recipe—it helps tremendously in terms of web searches! Cheers, friends.
Flourless 5-Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies
- 1 cup creamy natural peanut butter such as Smucker's
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 3 Tbsp. organic unsalted butter softened
- 1 large egg
- 1/4. kosher salt
- 1/2 cup finely chopped roasted salted peanuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat peanut butter, coconut sugar, and butter for 1 minute, until smooth. Beat in egg and salt. Stir in peanuts.
- Using a mini ice-cream scoop or tablespoon, scoop dough into 1 3/4-inch-diameter balls. Arrange dough balls 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet. Using back of fork, flatten dough balls and form crosshatch design on tops. Bake cookies until edges barely begin to turn golden brown, about 9 to 12 minutes. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt, if desired. Let cool slightly on baking sheet, then transfer to a wire rack and cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough balls.