Coriander and cumin-scented carrots with rye berries and pistachios tossed in a zippy cilantro-honey dressing. This fiber-packed grain bowl is a perfect make-ahead option for a light, yet filling lunch or dinner. So tell me, are you knee-deep in cookie exchanges, potlucks, and office holiday parties yet?
Whether you are or not (I shockingly am not… YET), this grain bowl is a great way to reset after one-too-many sugar cookies or cocktails. It’s jam-packed with whole-grains, root vegetables, and heart-healthy fats. AND IT’S TASTY AF.A good grain bowl is only as good as its add-ins, and this one is a great chance to introduce some new whole grains to your diet. I’ve been LOVING rye berries and wheat berries lately.
Rye berries are sold with their hull intact, which means they take a bit longer to cook than most other grains, but they will reward you with their al-dente chewy texture and rich nutty flavor. Pro tip: buy them from the bulk bins of your local health food store. They’re typically much cheaper and you can grab the exact amount you need. One of the best things about this bowl is it’s equally delicious served warm, chilled, or at room temperature. You can also dress it way ahead of time without worrying about any of the ingredients getting sad and wilted. Root veggies and whole grains are super durable (which is why they are MVP’s of meal prep!).
If you’re craving an extra hit of protein, top if off with seared shrimp, rotisserie chicken, or a couple soft-boiled eggs. Bless this mess.
- ¾ cup dry whole rye berries, farro, or wheat berries
- 1 lb. rainbow carrots, scrubbed and tops trimmed, halved at a diagonal
- 3 Tbsp. avocado or olive oil, divided
- ½ tsp. ground coriander
- ¾ tsp. ground cumin, divided
- 1 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. minced shallots
- 2 tsp. honey
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped cilantro leaves, plus more for garnish
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup roughly chopped pistachios
- 3 Tbsp. pomegranate arils
- Cook rye berries in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until tender, about 60 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- While grains cook, preheat oven to 425°F. Toss carrots in 1 Tablespoon of the oil, coriander, ½ tsp. of the cumin, and ½ tsp. of the salt. Place in a single layer on a foil-lined baking sheet. Roast, tossing occasionally, until carrots are tender, about 40 minutes.
- Place remaining 2 Tablespoons oil, ¼ tsp. cumin, ½ tsp. salt, lemon juice, shallots, honey, and black pepper in a large bowl; whisk to combine. Let stand 15 minutes. Stir in chopped cilantro, cooked grains, and carrots.
- Divide evenly onto each of four plates. Sprinkle pistachios and pomegranate arils evenly over top. Garnish with extra cilantro, if desired.