Incredibly moist and decadent banana bread bursting with rich dark chocolate chips and walnuts in every bite. This protein and fiber-rich treat packs an extra nutritional punch thanks to the nutrition powerhouse, chickpea flour!
If you’re scratching your head in a bit of curiosity right now, I don’t blame you. I first discovered Bob’s Red Mill chickpea (or garbanzo bean) flour while perusing the baking isle at Whole Foods and was instantly intrigued. The flour is very fine and almost silky in texture and has a whopping 5 grams of fiber and 6 grams of protein per serving! It also has a beautiful subtle sweetness that makes it especially well-suited for baked goods.One of the things I love most about this flour is that it’s nearly impossible to tell when a baked good or bread is made with it. You would take one bite of this bread and just assume it was made with regular flour. There’s no trace of any “beany” flavor and the texture it lends is most desirable.
Deliciously dense and amazingly moist – my two non-negotiables for banana bread!Banana bread is just one of those breakfasts that will never lose its hype. It’s the kind of breakfast you get excited to wake up to and just feel good about eating. Paired with a hot mug of coffee or cold glass of milk, every bite can just give you a sense of comfort and satisfaction.
As far as add-ins, dark chocolate chips and walnuts are my top contenders, though feel free to add anything you like. Any type of nut, dried fruit, fresh blueberries and/or coconut flakes would also be delicious. I highly recommend stepping a wee bit out of your baking comfort zone and trying out this incredible banana bread with chickpea flour. I promise you will be hooked! I’m already brainstorming other recipes to use it in 😉
If you do make this recipe, be sure to snap a pic and tag #dishingouthealth so I can see your beautiful creations!
If you don’t have a Whole Foods or health food store close by that carries a wide variety of flours, you can order chickpea flour here (<–affiliate link!).
Chickpea Flour Banana Bread with Dark Chocolate and Walnuts (Gluten-Free)
- 2 large extra ripe bananas 225 gms
- 3/4 cup 0% fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup coconut oil melted and cooled
- 1 1/2 cups chickpea garbanzo bean flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray an 8x4 inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine bananas, Greek yogurt and egg. Beat on medium speed until smooth. Add sugar, vanilla extract and coconut oil and beat again until combined and creamy.
- In a separate bowl, combine chickpea flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt and whisk until combined.
- Slowly pour dry ingredients into wet and use a wire whisk to mix until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth top. Bake for 45-55 minutes or until tester inserted into center comes out clean. Remove from oven and place on wire rack to cool for 30 minutes, then carefully invert, remove bread from pan and place back on wire rack to cool completely. Cut into 12 slices.
What are your favorite things to add to banana bread?
Have you ever tried baking with chickpea flour?
If you love banana bread as much as I do, check out some of my other favorite recipes:
Maple Frosted Banana Bread Donuts
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Muffins