5 ingredient peanut butter chocolate crispy rice treats elevate the the treasured childhood treat with protein-packed nut butter and a salted chocolate topping. Naturally gluten-free and with minimal ingredients, enjoy these energizing sweet treats any time of day.It's Day 2 of 5 Ingredient Recipe Week! And to balance the savor of yesterday's salmon recipe, I thought we'd continue on this minimal ingredient/big flavor path with these dead-simple crispy rice bars.
But first, I'd like to cast a vote: Is there any combination better than peanut butter + chocolate? Comment below. To me, they are the ultimate fusion of flavors and will forever belong together. And these bars really let their magic radiate. In addition to the simplicity of this recipe, they've also got the "no-bake" thing going for them, so during the early weeks of fall when we're still experiencing peak summer temperatures and can't fathom turning our ovens on, they come in clutch.
(Although, we have had some crisp mornings in 50's this past week in Colorado, so I do feel fall leisurely creeping in.) We even ignited our first backyard fire of the season last night, complete with s'mores, some local brews, and naturally, more of these bars. If you or your kiddos have a nut allergy, SunButter is an excellent alternative to the peanut butter in this recipe. The honey and velvety-smooth melted chocolate balance the deep earthiness of the sunflower seeds beautifully.
Keep a stash in the fridge for up to two weeks and these bars are great for entertaining or for every day grab-and-go treats.Guaranteed to win some serious kid (and adult!) points.
5 Ingredient Peanut Butter Chocolate Crispy Rice Treats
- 1 cup natural creamy peanut butter
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ⅓ cup honey
- 4 cups crispy rice cereal
- Cooking spray
- 1 ½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Flaky sea salt for topping optional
- Cook peanut butter, maple syrup, and honey in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until melted, stirring often.
- Combine peanut butter mixture in a large bowl with crispy rice cereal; stir well. Transfer mixture to an 8x8 baking pan lined with parchment paper and coated with cooking spray, pressing mixture down firmly with the back of a spatula.
- Place chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 30-second intervals until chocolate softens; stir until melted and smooth. Pour chocolate over crispy rice treats, smoothing out with the back of a spoon. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt, if desired. Cover and refrigerate two hours, or until chocolate is set. Cut into 16 squares.