This post is sponsored by Truvia Nectar® and Healthy Aperture Blogger Network. Truvia Nectar® has 50% fewer calories per serving than sugar and can be used in place of honey, sugar, or agave in recipes. Find it at select retail stores nationwide. Thank you for supporting the brands that support Dishing Out Health!Did you guys know National Diabetes Month is observed every November? It’s a great opportunity for communities, healthcare professionals and organizations to bring attention to the disease and its impact on millions of Americans.
Managing diabetes can pose many challenges, especially around the holidays. However, it’s reassuring to know there are dietitian-approved products available to help lower the sugar content of some of our favorite sweet treats.
Truvia Nectar® adds a touch of sweetness wherever you would use agave, sugar or honey in hot or cold beverages, on fresh fruit, on oatmeal and yogurt, and even in savory recipes such as this. It’s made from a blend of stevia leaf extract and honey so it has 50% fewer calories than sugar. Plus, it’s twice as sweet as honey, so you only need to use half as much. This recipe brings a little sweet, a little savory, a little tang, and a whole lotta delicious to one package. Tender chicken thighs are marinated in a sweet and sour Thai chili sauce, seared to sticky-sweet perfection, and paired with roasted delicata squash, jasmine rice and fresh basil.
It’s the perfect fuss-free meal that totally kicks takeout to the curb. I may even go as far as to say it could be your new go-to chicken recipe. We all have one, right? This one is weeknight-approved and excellent for weekly meal prepping.For a pop of freshness, I like to add a spritz of fresh lime juice and a few pomegranate arils as a finishing touch. If making vegetarian, simply swap the chicken for tofu!
These bowls are hearty, filling and incredibly flavorful.
Bowl me up, buttercup.If you make this recipe, be sure to tag #dishingouthealth so I can see your beautiful creations!
Sweet and Sour Thai Chicken Bowls
- 1 1/2 - 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of most visible fat
- 2 tbsp Thai sweet red chili sauce
- 1 tbsp reduced-sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Truvia Nectar
- 1 1/2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated ginger
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1 medium-sized delicata squash sliced into 1/4-in slices
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup Thai jasmine rice or rice of choice
- Optional toppings: pomegranate arils fresh basil, additional lime juice
- In a large bowl, combine red chili sauce, tamari, Truvia Nectar, rice vinegar, garlic, ginger, lime juice and basil. Stir with a whisk. Set 1/4 cup marinade aside. Place chicken in bowl, toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Toss squash with olive oil and sea salt; spread out on a baking sheet. Roast for 30-33 minutes, flipping once halfway through. Prepare rice according to package instructions.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high. Add chicken; cook 7-8 minutes per side, pouring any leftover marinade from the bowl over chicken.
- To assemble, place rice and 2-3 pieces of squash in each bowl. Add chicken thighs and drizzle reserved marinade overtop. Add optional toppings, if desired. Serve.
Join the Conversation:
What’s your favorite weeknight chicken dish to prepare?
What would you add Truvia Nectar to?