Crisp-skinned salmon with warming sumac spice pairs beautifully with cool coriander-mint yogurt and cucumbers in these easy weeknight tacos. Oh, sumac. How I love thee. With its bright, tangy flavor and use-it-on-everything versatility, this vibrant Middle Eastern spice is deserving of a moment in the spotlight.
Just a pinch adds wonderful complexity to spice rubs for grilled meat, fish, or roasted vegetables. Also, try sprinkling it over a bowl of hummus or baba ganoush, or mix it into salad dressings for a pop of flavor.Sumac’s tart lemony quality goes exceptionally well with fresh mint and coriander. The refreshing combination of yogurt and cucumbers is the perfect counterpoint to the warm, crispy salmon.
We’re basically taking some of key elements of tzatziki and wrapping them in a warm corn tortilla for the ultimate fish taco experience. These tacos take less than 30 minutes to assemble, start to finish. Which is particularly clutch on short holiday weeks that I swear feel the LONGEST. Yesterday felt like the Monday-est Tuesday ever and today also feels like a marathon. Please grace us with your presence, Friday.
(And please grace your face with these tacos in the meantime.)Boasting heart-healthy omega-3 fats, probiotics, and vitamin C-packed citrus, these tacos hit all the right notes on the delicious and nutritious scale.
And feel free to add any additional toppings you like: peppers, jalapeños, pico, zucchini, or basically anything pickled and briny. Crunchy, cool, creamy, crispy, and SO damn tasty. I can’t even taco ’bout it.
Sumac Salmon Tacos with Coriander-Mint Yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups English cucumber ribbons
- 1 shallot sliced thin
- 1 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. granulated sugar
- 1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 lb. wild salmon skin-on
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. sumac
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt divided
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper divided
- 8 corn tortillas
- **Coriander-Mint Yogurt**
- 1/2 cup 2% reduced-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. freshly chopped mint
- 1/4 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Combine cucumber, shallot, vinegar, sugar, crushed red pepper flakes, 1/4. tsp of the salt, and 1/8 tsp. of the black pepper in a bowl; gently toss. Set aside.
- Heat a large nonstick or cast iron skillet over medium-high.
- Drizzle olive oil evenly over flesh of salmon. Season with sumac, lemon zest, cumin, remaining 1/4 tsp. salt, and 1/8 tsp. black pepper. Place salmon in pan, skin-down, and cook 8 minutes, until skin is crispy and fish is nearly cooked through. Flip, cook 2 minutes, and remove pan from heat.
- Prepare yogurt spread by combining all ingredients in a small bowl; stir with a whisk.
- Warm tortillas according to package directions. Break salmon into chunks and divide evenly onto each of 8 tortillas. Top evenly with cucumber mixture and coriander-mint yogurt. Garnish with fresh herbs, if desired.