Vegan cashew cream Alfredo sauce tossed with lemony Brussels over spaghetti squash. Swirl up a forkful of this rich, creamy play on the Italian classic for a veggie-packed main that is every bit as rich and satisfying. I feel like all Mondays require a heavy dose of veggies. Not only does it set the tone for a healthy week, but it also makes me a little bit better about whatever sodium- and sugar-laden treats I indulged in over the weekend.
Like this weekend, for example, my main source of antioxidants came from red wine and I had a fat slice of homemade birthday cake for dinner on Friday night.
Not an ounce of regret!How was your Super Bowl weekend?! Did you get to eat an edible stadium? Did you love Gaga’s performance? I mean, how is it that one woman can sing, dance, AND fly, all while delivering inspirational messages at the same time? #goals.
How could I not drink an extra glass of red wine to that?So I’ve recently discovered a new trick to roasting my spaghetti squash that has proved to be a major game changer. Instead of slicing it in half lengthwise, I’ve been slicing it crosswise to yield longer spaghetti strands. The spaghetti-like strands have somewhat of a spiral effect inside the squash, so by slicing it crosswise, you’re preserving their length and further emulating their pasta counterparts.
I dig it, at least. If you don’t mind the shorter strands, than slice however which way you please. But it is quite fun actually getting to swirl a fork into a mesh of slurptastic “noodles”.This is a great recipe to make in advance and reheat for weekday lunches. With an extra splash of nut milk, the sauce stays lusciously creamy after being reheated. It’s honestly delicious as a cold noodle salad, too.
It’s hearty and satisfying while still tasting light and fresh. I’d venture to say that even the non-veggie eaters will dig this recipe. I mean, what’s not to love about ** grams of fiber and** grams of plant-powered protein per serving? Not to mention a bounty of heart-healthy fat for extra staying power. Suited for weeknight cooking, yet fit to feed royalty, this hearty main will enlighten your taste buds and steal your heart in just one forkful.
Now let’s have an awesome week!
If you make this recipe, be sure to tag #dishingouthealth so I can see your beautiful creations!
Spaghetti Squash Alfredo with Brussels (Vegan)
- 1 2-3 lb spaghetti squash
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil divided
- 2 cups finely sliced or shredded Brussels sprouts
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 3/4 cup unsweetened nut milk
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast or parmesan cheese, if not making vegan
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Optional topping: chopped fresh basil parsley, or chopped cashews.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Slice spaghetti in half crosswise. Brush flesh with 1 tsp. olive oil on each half. Place squash halves, cut-side down, on baking sheet. Bake for 50 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, heat remaining 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add brussels; cook 5-6 minutes, until golden brown and softened. Add garlic during final minute.
- Place cashews, nut milk, lemon juice, nutritional yeast (or cheese), salt, pepper and crushed red pepper flakes in a high power blender or food processor. Blend until smooth and creamy, about 1 minute. Pour into skillet and toss with Brussels.
- Scoop out seeds of spaghetti squash; discard. Scrape inside of squash with a fork to remove spaghetti-like strands. Divide into 4 bowls. Spoon sauce and Brussels mixture evenly overtop. Add toppings of choice, if desired.