Roasted Delicata Squash and Kale Salad with Crispy Walnut-Parmesan Breadcrumbs and Creamy Peppercorn Dressing. This hearty roasted squash salad is filled with fall flavors and can double as an entree or side dish!
This is the definition of a salad that satisfies. Between its range of lively flavors and textures, it feels special enough to grace a holiday table this season.
Roasted Squash and Kale Salad with Creamy Peppercorn Dressing
- Rimmed baking sheets
- Mixing bowls
- 2 small-medium delicata squashes (about 1.25 lbs total)
- ½ red onion, cut into ¼-inch thick slices
- 4 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 Tbsp. fresh thyme leaves (or 1 tsp. dried)
- 2 tsp. maple syrup
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- ¾ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ½ cup finely chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- ¼ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 bunch green curly kale, stemmed and chopped
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.Slice delicata squash in half lengthwise; scoop out (and discard) seeds. Slice the halves again lengthwise to create four segments. Slice each segment into ½-inch thick pieces.
- Combine squash, red onion, 3 Tbsp. olive oil, maple syrup, thyme, chili powder, garlic powder, and ½ tsp. salt in a large bowl; toss well to coat.Empty out onto a rimmed baking sheet and arrange veggies so that there is no overlap. Roast for 35 minutes, tossing once halfway through.
- While veggies roast, prepare Parmesan-Peppercorn dressing. In a medium bowl, combine mayonnaise, lemon juice, Dijon, black pepper, and salt. Gradually stream in olive oil, while whisking constantly, until combined. Stir in Parmesan and set aside.
- Prepare crunchy walnut topping by spreading walnuts, ¼ cup Parmesan, and breadcrumbs out on a smaller rimmed baking sheet. Toss with remaining 1 Tablespoon olive oil. During the final 10 minutes of the veggies roasting, place pan in the oven. Bake for 7 to 10 minutes, watching closely to avoid burning, and shaking the pan every few minutes, until golden brown and toasted.
- Place kale in a large bowl along with half of the dressing. Use your hands to massage the dressing into kale leaves for about 30 seconds until the greens soften. Let roasted veggies cool for about 10 minutes before adding to the bowl. Add half of the walnut mixture; toss to combine. Spoon remaining dressing overtop, and garnish with remaining walnut-breadcrumb mixture.