Whole wheat penne pasta tossed in a decadently creamy cajun sauce with vegetables and succulent shrimp. A meal packed with goodness and totally irresistible flavors that is prepared in under 30 minutes.
Holy flavor bomb! I just want to dive head first into this pot. But then i’d burn my face off and wouldn’t be able to invite you guys over for dinner. There is just too much at stake when it comes to this meal.
Creamy Cajun Shrimp Pasta
- 1 lb white shrimp peeled and deveined
- 2 3/4 cups whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 cup low sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 2/3 cup skim milk
- 1 red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 orange or yellow bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1/2 sweet onion thinly sliced
- 8 ounces mushrooms thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tbsp Cajun seasoning store bought or home-made (see notes for recipe)
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter or margarine
- 1.5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- Optional topping: freshly chopped parsley
- Heat 1 tbsp butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Pot needs to be large enough to fit the entire dish. In a separate pot, heat water to boil pasta. Toss in penne and cook till al dente.
- Season shrimp with half of Cajun seasoning, covering it completely. Add to pot and cook for 2-3 minutes per side, until slightly browned. Transfer to plate.
- Add olive oil to pot. Add peppers, onions, mushrooms and remainder of Cajun seasoning. Cook veggies until softened, adding garlic during the last 2 minutes. Transfer to plate.
- Lower heat to medium and add remaining tbsp of butter to pot. Once melted, whisk in flour. Add stock and milk and whisk to combine. Bring mixture to a boil and then simmer on medium-low heat for ~5 minutes to allow sauce to thicken.
- Add cooked pasta, shrimp and vegetables to pot and allow mixture to simmer another 5 minutes. Top with fresh parsley and serve!
2 tsp paprika, 2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp sea salt, 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano, 1 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper