Creamy Cajun Shrimp Pasta with mushrooms, peppers, and onions. This 30 minute, one pot pasta is perfect for weeknight cooking and will become a family favorite!
Why You'll Love this Cajun Shrimp Pasta
Penne pasta tossed in a decadent Cajun cream sauce with vegetables and succulent shrimp. A meal packed with bold, irresistible flavor that comes together in just 30 minutes.
- Pasta: While the recipe calls for penne pasta, you can use any shape you like! I also love using shells, bow ties, or fusilli pasta. If you're making this recipe gluten free, I suggest using a brown rice or chickpea pasta. My gluten-free go-to brands are Jovial and Banza.
- Shrimp: I suggest using peeled and deveined medium (or large) shrimp for this recipe. Alternatively, if you don't like seafood, you can use boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
- Spices: You have the option of using homemade or store-bought Cajun seasoning here. If you do use store-bought, just be mindful of the sodium content. Some spice mixes can be quite high, so you'll want to reduce any additional salt added in the cooking process.
- Vegetables: I love using a mix of bell peppers, onion, and mushrooms, however you can use any combination you like! Zucchini, summer squash, and spinach are also great options.
- Broth: The pasta cooks in chicken (or vegetable) broth to really season the noodles and sauce. I suggest using a lower sodium version so you have better control of the salt content.
- Cream: A dash of heavy cream is added at the very end to make the sauce luxuriously creamy. If you're making the recipe dairy-free, use cashew cream or canned coconut milk instead.
Step 1: Prepare the Cajun Seasoning
In a small bowl, combine smoked paprika, garlic powder, oregano, salt, cayenne, and black pepper; stir well. (For less spice, use ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper.) Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
Step 2: Sauté the Shrimp
Heat oil and butter in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sprinkle half of the seasoning mix over the shrimp.
Once hot, add the shrimp to the pan and cook for 2 minutes per side, until opaque. (If your pan is small, cook the shrimp in batches to avoid overlap.) Once cooked, transfer the shrimp to a plate.
Step 3: Cook the Vegetables
Add a little more oil to the pan, along with the the peppers, mushrooms, and onion. Season with remaining spice mix, and cook for about 8 minutes, until the vegetables become tender.
Step 4: Add the Pasta, Broth, and Tomatoes
Add the fire-roasted tomatoes, pasta, and broth to the pan and bring the mixture to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium, cover and cook 12 to 14 minutes, until the pasta is al dente.
Step 5: Stir in the Cream, Garnish, and Serve!
Remove the lid, stir in the cream, and cook 1 to 2 more minutes. At this point, the sauce should start to slightly thicken and coat the noodles. Lastly, stir in the parsley, and divide the pasta evenly between 6 plates. If desired, garnish with additional parsley and lemon wedges.
FAQs and Expert Tips:
What is Cajun Spice Made Of?
What to Serve with Cajun Shrimp Pasta:
Is This Shrimp Pasta Healthy?
More Easy Shrimp Pasta Recipes
30 Minute Shrimp Pasta Primavera with Zoodles
One Pan Creamed Corn Orzo with Shrimp
One Pot Harissa Shrimp and Feta Orzo
If you give this recipe a try, be sure to snap a pic and tag #dishingouthealth on Instagram so I can see your creations. Also, follow along on Facebook and Pinterest for the latest recipe updates!
Creamy Cajun Shrimp Pasta
- Large Dutch oven or soup pot
- 1 Tbsp. smoked paprika
- 1 ½ tsp. dried oregano
- 1 ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- ¼ to ½ tsp. cayenne pepper (use more or less depending on desired level of spice)
- 1 lb. raw peeled and deveined shrimp
- 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 8 oz. white or baby bella (cremini) mushrooms, sliced
- 2 bell peppers, thinly sliced (any colors)
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 12 oz. dry penne pasta (about 4 heaping cups)
- 1 (14-oz.) can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 4 cups (1 quart) vegetable or chicken broth
- ½ cup heavy cream sub cashew cream if making dairy-free
- ¼ cup fresh chopped parsley
- Prepare Cajun Seasoning blend by combining all spices in a small bowl; stir well.
- Heat butter and 1 Tbsp. of the oil in a large Dutch oven or soup pot over medium-high. Season shrimp with half of the Cajun seasoning. Once the pan is hot, add shrimp and cook 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until opaque. Transfer to a plate.
- Add remaining 2 Tbsp. oil to pan, along with mushrooms, bell peppers, onion, and remaining half of Cajun seasoning. Cook over medium-high until vegetables become tender, about 8 minutes. Add pasta, tomatoes, and broth, and bring mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium, and simmer for 12 to 14 minutes, or until pasta is al dente.
- Remove lid and stir in heavy cream. Continue simmering, uncovered, for 2 more minutes, until sauce begins to thicken and cling to noodles. Stir in parsley and serve.
Really easy to make. I love one pot dinners. I didn't have smoked Paprika, so just added some cayenne pepper and red chili flakes. Everyone thought it was absolutely delicious! Definitely a keeper
Hi Robyn - I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Thank you for taking the time to leave a review!
Followed the recipe exact and it is amazing!!!
FYI, make the cajun seasoning!
Hi Diane - I'm so glad you enjoyed this one! Thank you for taking the time to leave a review!
When do you add the shrimp back in?
I wondered the same thing. I had to read three times just to make sure I didn’t overlook that part. Never appears.
I love pasta and this was very tasty. I substituted the shrimp for andoullie sausage. And I added a dash of corn starch and tomato paste to thicken the sauce a little bit. We loved it.
Delicious!! So rich and hearty! Will be making again
YUMMY!! One of the best pasta dishes I've had in A WHILE. Thanks for the great recipe! WIll make again.
This pasta is SO flavorful!! I used cashew cream because I don't do dairy, and it was so rich! We will definitely be making it again
So glad the recipe was a hit! Thank you for taking time to leave a review!