BBQ-Peach Skillet Pizza features a homemade peach BBQ sauce with creamy burrata cheese and basil. The ultimate summer stove top pizza, this recipe is sure to become a family favorite.
The Ultimate Skillet Pizza
This fresh summertime pie gives pizza delivery a serious run for its money. Because truly, what better combo exists than homemade peach-BBQ sauce, red onion, sliced fresh peaches, creamy burrata, and basil? (I’ll wait.) Plus, it’s ready in under 40 minutes, making it suitable for even the busiest weeknights.
The best part about this pizza is that it cooks in a cast-iron skillet, which gives it a crust that’s perfectly crispy and chewy. Additionally, it’s super versatile and can be easily elevated with protein (shredded chicken, crumbled bacon, etc) for a well-rounded meal.
How to Make a Pizza on the Stove Top:
When cooking pizza on the stove, the goal is to develop golden, crispy crust without tipping it over into burning. This can easily be achieved by starting the pizza on the stove top (conductive heat) and then finishing it off in the oven (radiating heat).
To start, you’ll want to either lightly grease or sprinkle cornmeal on the skillet to prevent sticking. After that, place fresh pizza dough in the pan and slightly up the sides so it doesn’t slump back down after cooking. Be sure to distribute the dough evenly to avoid thin patches, which run the risk of burning.
Start cooking the skillet over medium-high on the stove top until the crust is dry and beginning to turn golden, about 8 minutes. Next, pile it up with toppings and slide it into a HOT oven (500°F) to keep cooking until the crust is golden-brown. Since all ovens are different, this could take anywhere from 9 to 12 minutes, so keep an eye on it.
Let it rest a few minutes, top it with burrata and fresh torn basil leaves, slice, and devour!
How to Make Homemade BBQ Sauce
This peach BBQ sauce uses summer stone fruit to master the balance of sweet and savory. Tomato paste and balsamic vinegar create rich depth of flavor, while fresh ginger and garlic create an aromatic edge. Another key ingredient to infuse the sauce with umami goodness is soy sauce (or, alternatively, worcestershire sauce). And, if you prefer your BBQ sauce to have a little kick, add a dash of red chili flakes or your favorite hot sauce.
The sauce’s sweetness is entirely up to you, but it’s worth noting that sweeteners with greater depth of flavor are a better pick. For example, molasses, maple syrup, or brown sugar for their rich, caramel-like notes.Lastly, if you give this recipe a try, be sure to tag #dishingouthealth on Instagram so I can see your beautiful creations!
More Easy Summer Recipes:
BBQ-Peach Skillet Pizza
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil plus more for brushing on crust
- 1 small yellow onion
- 2 peaches divided
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp. grated fresh ginger
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 tsp. soy sauce or worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Pinch of red chili flakes
- 16 oz. fresh pizza dough homemade or store-bought
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 8 oz. burrata cheese
- Fresh basil and/or arugula for garnish
- Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Using one of the larger settings on a box grater, grate onion and transfer to pan. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Slice one of the peaches in half and remove core. Holding onto each half, grate flesh of peach on box grater until you reach the skin; discard skin. Add grated peach, garlic, ginger, and tomato paste to saucepan and cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add vinegar, maple syrup, soy sauce, salt, and chili flakes; bring mixture to a boil. Reduce to medium-low and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes, until thickened. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 500°F. Lightly grease a 12-inch cast-iron skillet (or, alternatively, sprinkle with corn meal). Stretch pizza dough to a 13-inch circle. Fit dough into the bottom and slightly up the sides of skillet. Place skillet over medium-high heat on stovetop; cook until bottom of crust is dry and beginning to brown, ~8 minutes. Remove from heat; prick crust several times with a fork.
- Spread BBQ sauce over crust in skillet. Slice remaining peach into thin slices and scatter peach and red onion overtop. Brush exposed crust with olive oil and place skillet in preheated oven; bake until crust is golden-brown, about 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from oven and top with torn pieces of burrata, fresh basil, and/or arugula, and extra red chili flakes, if desired.