5 ingredient roasted red pepper pasta with basil and mushrooms comes together in just 30 minutes. Vegetarian, weeknight-friendly, and great for leftovers!
Happy Day 3 of 5 Ingredient Recipe Week! Are we feeling bold and assertive waltzing into the supermarket with a grocery list so short it doesn't even require a cart? That's my kind of trip. And don't forget, if you're making any of the recipes this week, tag me @dishingouthealth so I can see your masterpieces and invite myself over for dessert.
We kicked off the week with salmon, which was closely followed by these glorious peanut butter chocolate treats, and now we're tucking into a bowl of pure pasta bliss. We should really do weeks like this more often, huh?This recipe will give you the confidence to ditch the pre-made sauces, because you can pack serious flavor into your homemade pasta with fresh produce and low effort/high ceiling ingredients like jarred roasted red peppers.
This is a convenience item I literally always have on hand for homemade hummus, sauces, or soup. They blend into a vibrant, ultra silky puree with big flavor and a slightly smoky backbone. A crucial component of this recipe that isn't even tallied in the ingredient list is the pasta water (aka liquid gold). That murky pasta water that you may typically send gushing down the drain is filled with residual starch that can help turn your sauce ultra glossy and luxurious. It's the one element that can turn standard homemade pasta into restaurant-quality stuff. (And you don't even need to add it to your grocery list!)
Sautéed mushrooms add meaty texture and a boost of umami to this vegetarian main. If you're not a 'shroom fan, you can swap them for fresh spinach, kale, broccoli rabe, or really any veggie that's speaking to you.
And of course the Parmesan garnish is optional, but highly recommended if you're not making the dish vegan. [But if so, nutritional yeast is your best friend (and my best friend) here.]Give this recipe a try for an guaranteed family favorite. And be sure to snap a pic and tag #dishingouthealth on Instagram so I can see your beautiful creations. Also, follow along on Facebook and Pinterest for the latest recipe updates!
More Easy Vegetarian Pasta Recipes:
5 Ingredient Roasted Red Pepper Pasta with Mushrooms
- 1 12-oz. jar roasted red peppers, drained
- 3 garlic cloves roughly chopped
- 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil divided
- 8 oz. baby bella mushrooms sliced
- ¾ tsp. kosher salt divided
- 12 oz. dry tortiglioni or rigatoni pasta
- ¾ cup fresh torn basil divided
- Optional: freshly grated Parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes
- Place roasted red peppers, garlic, ½ tsp. salt, and 2 Tbsp. of the oil in a blender or food processor. Process until smooth; set aside.
- Heat remaining 1 Tbsp. oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms; cook until golden brown, stirring occasionally, about 6 to 7 minutes. Season with ¼ tsp. of the salt. Set aside.
- Cook pasta in a large pot of salted water over medium-high until al dente. Reserve ½ cup pasta water before draining. Turn off heat and return drained pasta to pot and set back over burner (the residual heat from the burner is all you need at this point). Mix in roasted red pepper sauce, mushrooms, and ½ cup of the fresh torn basil. Gradually add reserved pasta water in 3 increments, stirring well each time until sauce clings to noodles and pasta appears glossy. Season to taste with freshly ground black pepper.
- Divide pasta evenly into each of 4 plates or wide-rimmed bowls. Garnish with reserved ¼ cup basil. If desired, sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes for a touch of heat.