Slow Cooker Chicken and Eggplant Red Curry
Chicken and vegetables slow simmered in a rich, aromatic Thai curry sauce served over a bed of rice with plenty of fresh herbs. This dish includes everything you love about Thai takeout for only a fraction of the fat and sodium.
Servings 5 servings
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup jasmine rice or long-grain brown rice rinsed
- 3 cups diced eggplant ~1 small eggplant
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 2 bell peppers of choice sliced into thin strips (I used yellow and red)
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 tbsp finely grated ginger or 1/2 tsp ground
- 1 1/2 cups lite coconut milk
- 2/3 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tbsp +1 tsp Thai Red Curry Paste found in the International Isle of most grocery stores
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- ~3 tbsp fresh basil finely chopped
- Garnishes optional: additional fresh basil, cilantro, Sriracha
Spray sides of slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray. Add prepared vegetables: eggplant, peppers, onions, garlic, ginger.
In a large bowl, combine coconut milk, chicken broth and curry paste. Whisk to combine. Pour over vegetables in slow cooker. Season chicken with salt and pepper to taste. Place on top of vegetables and coat with a little sauce. Cover and cook on LOW for 7 hours.
After 7 hours, remove chicken breasts and place on a cutting board. Using two forks, gently shred chicken into small pieces. Place shredded chicken back in slow cooker, add chopped basil and stir all contents to combine.
Prepare rice according to package instructions. Just before serving, season the rice to taste with salt and fluff it with a fork.
To assemble curry bowls, place ~1/2 cup of cooked rice in a bowl. Using a ladle, spoon out curry contents on top of rice and add a little extra sauce. Top with fresh herbs and serve!
Serving: 1g | Calories: 363kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 33g | Fat: 6.5g | Saturated Fat: 4.5g | Sodium: 349mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 7g