Grilled Eggplant with Sweet and Sour Bacon Chutney
Grilled eggplant with sweet and sour bacon chutney brings bold flavor to an easy weeknight dish. Add a crisp green salad on the side to round out the meal with a satisfying crunch.
Servings 4 servings
- 4 graffiti or Japanese eggplants sliced lengthwise into 1/2-inch planks
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 3 oz. finely chopped center-cut bacon slices
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1/2 cup fresh diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp. lower-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
Heat a grill pan coated with cooking spray over medium-high. Brush eggplants with oil and season with salt. Grill, turning occasionally, until lightly charred and tender, about 8 minutes.
Place bacon in a large skillet and turn heat to medium. Cook bacon until fat renders and bacon turns crisp, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add onion and garlic; cook 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened and fragrant. Add tomatoes, vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, and red pepper flakes; simmer over medium heat 20 minutes, until reduced and mixture becomes jammy.
Serve chutney over grilled eggplant.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 290kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 680mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 21g