BLT Naan Flatbreads with Creamy Tomatillo Sauce
BLT naan flatbreads with creamy tomatillo-avocado sauce are the perfect way to celebrate the height of tomato season. Made in just 30 minutes, enjoy them as an easy weeknight dinner or weekend appetizer to serve a crowd.
Servings 4 flatbreads
- 1 1/2 cups quartered fresh tomatillos husks removed
- 1/2 ripe medium avocado
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/2 fresh jalapeño seeded
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 Tbsp. avocado oil or extra-virgin olive oil divided
- 3/4 tsp. kosher salt divided
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 4 prepared naan breads
- 1 heaping cup freshly grated mozzarella cheese
- 4 slices cooked and cooled center cut bacon torn into pieces
- 2 cups tomatoes of choice sliced heirloom or plum, or halved cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups fresh baby arugula
- Crushed red pepper flakes optional
Combine tomatillos, avocado, cilantro, jalapeño, garlic, 1 Tbsp. of the oil, 1/2 tsp. of the salt, and black pepper in a blender; blend until smooth. Set aside.
Sprinkle remaining 1/4 tsp. salt over sliced tomatoes; set aside.
Heat a cast iron pan or grill-pan over medium high. Brush one side of each naan bread evenly with remaining 1 Tbsp. oil. Working in batches to avoid crowding the pan, place naan bread oil-side down in pan; cook 2 minutes, until lightly toasted and char marks appear. Flip, and sprinkle each bread evenly with cheese, followed by one slice of torn bacon, and 1/2 cup tomatoes. Let cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until cheese melts. Transfer to a cutting board. Drizzle each flatbread with ~2 Tbsp. tomatillo sauce. Scatter 1/2 cup arugula over each flatbread. Sprinkle with crushed red pepper flakes, if desired.