One Pan Wild Rice and Cheesy Broccoli Casserole
One Pan Wild Rice and Cheesy Broccoli Casserole with mushrooms, thyme, and pecans. A hearty vegetarian meal that is kid-friendly and weeknight-approved.
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 oz. shiitake mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 1 1/2 cups U.S.-grown wild rice blend
- 5 garlic cloves minced
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth if making vegetarian
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups chopped broccoli florets
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup pecan halves roughly chopped
Heat butter and oil in a 12-inch oven safe pan (preferably cast iron) over medium heat. Add mushrooms and shallots; cook until mushrooms are golden brown, stirring occasionally, 5 to 6 minutes. Add rice and garlic; cook 1 to 2 minutes, until rice is toasted. Add thyme, broth, mustard, salt, and pepper. Bring mixture to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low. Cook 40 to 45 minutes, until rice is tender and liquid has been absorbed.
Preheat oven to 425°F.
Remove thyme sprigs and stir in broccoli. Add milk and Parmesan and stir until combined. Scatter cheddar cheese overtop and transfer pan to the oven. Bake for 20 minutes, until cheese is melted. Scatter pecans overtop and serve.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 446kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Sodium: 847mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 4g