Creamy Lemon Garlic Pasta (Vegan)
Creamy Lemon Garlic Pasta with asparagus and peas comes together in just 30 minutes. This kid-friendly spring pasta is dairy-free, yet incredibly creamy and satisfying.
Soup pot or Dutch oven
- 8 to 10 oz. chickpea pasta (such as Banza) or lentil pasta (sub traditional semolina flour pasta)
- 10 oz. fresh asparagus, sliced at a diagonal into 2-inch pieces
- 2/3 cup frozen peas
- 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups Silk Plain Unsweetened Cashewmilk
- 1 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 3/4 tsp. black pepper
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 3 Tbsp. nutritional yeast (sub finely grated Parmesan cheese if not making plant-based)
- 3 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil, plus more for garnish
Cook pasta according to package instructions in a pot of salted water. During final four minutes, add asparagus and peas. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water before draining.
While pasta cooks, heat oil in large skillet over medium-low heat. Once warm, add garlic and chili flakes. Cook 4 to 5 minutes, until garlic is golden and aromatic. Sprinkle in flour; stir with a whisk until smooth. Cook 2 full minutes, stirring often, to eliminate raw flour taste.
Gradually stream in cashewmilk, whisking constantly, until mixture is smooth. Increase heat and bring mixture to a simmer; cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until sauce starts to thicken. Remove from heat and stir in salt, pepper, lemon zest and juice, and nutritional yeast.
Pour sauce into pot with drained pasta and veggies and stir to combine. If sauce is too thick, stir in some of the reserved pasta water in 1/2 cup increments until desired consistency is achieved. Stir in fresh basil and serve immediately with garnishes of choice.
To reheat in the oven, spread the pasta out in a shallow baking dish, stir in some broth to loosen up sauce, and reheat at 300°F until warm.
To reheat stovetop, place the pasta in a small saucepan and add a splash of broth to loosen up sauce. Heat over medium, stirring often, until warm.
Calories: 388kcal | Carbohydrates: 48g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 1.5g | Sodium: 942mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 6g