Creamy White Bean Enchilada Soup
Creamy White Bean Enchilada Soup with green chiles and corn is the ultimate 30 minute vegetarian soup. Freezer-friendly and great for meal prep or easy weeknight dinner.
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped (sub bell pepper color of choice)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3 cups vegetable broth (sub chicken broth)
- 2 cups Horizon Organic Pasture-Raised Whole Milk (sub cashew milk if making vegan/dairy free)
- 2 (15-oz.) cans navy beans (small white beans), rinsed and drained (sub Great Northern or cannellini beans)
- 2 (4-oz.) cans chopped green chiles
- 1 cup fresh or frozen/thawed corn
- 1/2 cup plain whole-milk Greek yogurt (sub sour cream)
- 1 ripe avocado and fresh cilantro for garnish (optional)
Heat oil in a large Dutch oven or soup pot over medium. Add onion and bell pepper; cook 6 minutes, until softened. Add garlic, cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper; cook 2 minutes, until aromatic.
Sprinkle flour over onion mixture and stir to combine; cook 2 full minutes, until the raw flour taste is eliminated. Whisk in broth and milk, then use a wooden spoon to stir soup and release any browned bits on the bottom of the pot. Add green chiles, white beans, and corn; increase heat to medium-high. Once soup reaches a gentle boil, reduce heat and gently simmer for 12 to 15 minutes, uncovered, until slightly thickened.
Place yogurt in a bowl and add 1/2 cup of hot soup; mix to combine. Pour yogurt mixture back into soup (this is called tempering, which helps stabilize the yogurt before it's introduced to a pot of hot liquid). Give the soup a final stir, and ladle into bowls to serve. Garnish with sliced avocado and fresh cilantro, if desired.
Place in an airtight container and refrigerate up to 4 days.
To freeze: let soup cool to room temperature, and pour it into a zip-top plastic freezer bag. Lay flat in the freezer, and freeze up to 3 months.
Serving: 1.66cups | Calories: 300kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 770mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 9g